Chain Tensioner chain tensioner pulley alignment

D

dr_clabo

I will search for the pulley (idler) problem next.
Nothing to address below in search:

It is not parallel with the chain because the lower arms off the crank are not parallel with the chain (perpendicular to the rear axle) - they are slightly angled outward.

Just go buy a torch and go at it?

Shim?

What might be the expert prescribed and tried & true method?

Many, Many Thanks in advance,
Dr_Clabo

dude, i wasn't trying to be a jerk, i needed to see what we had to do to make things better here for finding existing info, still working on it, sorry for the mini-hassle :???:

first, make certain wherever you mount the tensioner, it's really on there, if you can move it with anything less than a hammer it's too loose.

if you have access to an acetylene-wrench, by all means line that sucker up just as good as you can.

mine is at a pretty good angle, but not so much that i needed to bend it, i just took great care when centering it. it runs in there cockeyed, which makes it noisy, but it's lasted for over a thousand miles so far.

steel plates in between the brackets will help, l use two plates on the inside and one on the outside, it makes the chain straight. just like using spacers.
325_IMG_0919_1.jpg

325_IMG_0917_1.jpg

these pics arent the greates but you should still understand from the pics. by the way pics help if you can post'em, gives everyone a better understanding of what your dealing with.....hope this helps....later

OK - GREAT !

Thanks azvinnie, I will give that a try Sunday.

I did fire-up the bike and it seems to be functional.
I did not really get going fast, perhaps 25mph once.

Just ran it once. I did not want to miss the break-in window by driving too slow and didn't want to go fast until the idler pulley is properly aligned and secure.

augidog - No offense taken and sorry if I was a little "wound-up" today.

This is a great site and my compliments on the super response time.

Now that I a few a posts under my belt, I hope to post some pics soon too.

Also, I think that will go online and get another engine. I just wanted to check-out one prior to getting into providing for the whole family. I wanted to make certain that they were all that they were cracked up to be and that installation went smoothly.

I am sure that the next installation will be smooth(er).

THANKS AGAIN, IMMENSELY - I DO GREATLY APPRECIATE NOT ONLY THE TECHNICAL SUPPORT, BUT THE MORAL SUPPORT WITHIN THE motoredbikes.com COMMUNITY.

Thanks a bunch,
DC

your welcome from MBc, glad l was able to help ya, anyway im off to the death race 2007 and will post pics and results of the race later to night.....

If it helps, I aligned mine by clamping the idler assembly onto the bike, removing the idler pulley and using a large pipe wrench to do the bending...I would bend small amounts at a time an put the pulley back on between bends to see how it aligns....usually takes me 2 or 3 small tweaks to get it right...
Andrew

Back