Chain Tensioner Chain tensioner pully

J

JE

Well I finally found a roller blade wheel to modify into a chain tensioner pully.I took it to work and had our machinist put it in his lathe and cut a groove in it.WOW what a difference.it runs smoother and allot quieter.
1707_IMG_0674_1.jpg

1707_IMG_0675_1.jpg

1707_IMG_0677_1.jpg

1707_IMG_0678_1.jpg

JE - nice tensioner! For a long time, my own tensioner has been the bain of my existence, but since I got a new frame (Greenline Qurve), it's worked out perfect. The Qurve has a more oval-shaped frame, and the tensioner fits perfectly with no chance at all of slipping. I'm glad you got yours worked out and your ride is now much smoother and quieter! 8)

yea I also tac welded the bracket onto the fram to keep it from moving.Still need to touch the paint up on that.

Has anyone ever had the rubber dryrot or break apart on these roller blade wheels? I am thinking of modifying my tensioner with this mod soon.

Dan

Took it out for a long ride tonight.All I can say is WOW what a difference in ferformance.Rides smoother,less vibration and allot quieter.

Kielohawk said:
Has anyone ever had the rubber dryrot or break apart on these roller blade wheels? I am thinking of modifying my tensioner with this mod soon.

Dan
Many recumbent homebuilders use the modified RB wheels, but if installed on the drive side of the chain they don't last as long. Some of the better ones i've seen use 11 to 15 tooth single speed sprockets, but installing caged ball bearings in one is a little more labor intensive than simply cutting a grove in the RB units.

TerraCycle makes some beauties, but not sure they'd hold-up under the load of an engine: http://www.terracycle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=T&Category_Code=IdlersALL

Nice pullies but a little spendie.I was thinking about using a chain tensioner sprocket off a tandom bike.

Back