Chain Tensioner Chain Tensioner Woes

Unirocket

Local time
3:29 PM
Hey all,

Well - just when I hit 170 miles on my new 66cc HT engine, the chain tensioner decided to take a turn on me, my wheel, my spokes, my tire, and ultimately my bike.

Surely there must be a better design...

Attachments

• IMG_1505.jpg
    IMG_1505.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_1506.jpg
    IMG_1506.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 336
Ya its called a bumblebeebolton. Lol..I dont personally care for chain drivin kits and this is why. To much to break. Keep it simple!!! theres a couple other friction kits out there if ya google em im sure you will see they are more reliable.

this kind of carnage i can deal with,its the broken casting behind the chain drive gear that bothers me.split case and take to work for aluminum welding.
i hope its weld-able.
sorry to see it happen to anybody.
next project will be spring loaded tensioner.i suspect needing to build at least 3 before i come up with something satisfactory.

Last edited:
this kind of carnage i can deal with,its the broken casting behind the chain drive gear that bothers me.split case and take to work for aluminum welding.
i hope its weld-able.
next project will be spring loaded tensioner.i suspect needing to build at least 3 before i come up with something satisfactory.

Sounds like project time! Woohoo!

well i put on my spare engine,stuck a roller skate wheel in the lathe and cut a chain groove into it,that stuff is tough,while turning it i made a ring like a rubber band,i couldnt break it.
mounted it in the bracket,lined up the chain and tagged it to the frame with my welder.
its NOT moving.
will spring load my other bike when i get casting welded and start my new build.

well i put on my spare engine,stuck a roller skate wheel in the lathe and cut a chain groove into it,that stuff is tough,while turning it i made a ring like a rubber band,i couldnt break it.
mounted it in the bracket,lined up the chain and tagged it to the frame with my welder.
its NOT moving.
will spring load my other bike when i get casting welded and start my new build.

I have a old vintage bike bug that uses a skate board wheel. The roller skater wheel should work good how deep is the chain groove? My vintage grips good with out the grooves. Let me know how that works out for ya. If it works good i might do that to my skate board wheel. Having a lathe is always a good thing!

i hope its weld-able.
What you probably can't see from the picture is that the frame is also bent... Time for a new bike just because of a poor chain tensioner design.

i saw the bow in the lower rail.depending what its made of steel,aluminum-its possible it could be straightened,but if it cracks its junk.at leas as far as a motor goes.
i will be sticking to all steel frames,i have no fear welding with my mig.steel plate for brackets is easy to come by to make any necessary brackets.

2stroker-i cut the groove pretty much the same depth as the original one.
the bearings are pretty much the same as the stock tensioner.they pop out easy for greasing,and there are two bearings,not like the single bearing on the stock one.

That skate wheel is a nice idea. If one cut the grove deep enough, once nice and tight the chain would have room to stretch without fear of jumping off the tensioner.Definately post on how well it holds up please. And 2stroker, your not allowed to say bumbleleebolton for at least a week! lol

Back