Chains Chain too big for main drive sprocket

lukecanna

Local time
9:15 PM
Hi everyone,
Just bought a brand new rk heavy duty chain and did all the grinding and hammering to get it to the right size and now that I've gone to put it on my bike it doesn't fit through the casing around the main drive sprocket on the motor? I think its hitting the part that the clutch arm is attached to. What should I grind down/space out for it to work
Plus one of the screws on this case head is stripped anyone know how to get it out
Thanks

That chain must be huge! :eek: I thought the 3/16" kit chain was unnecessary mass so I used a 1/8" bmx chain, but it didn't snap so I thought I would try a 3/32" trials/BMX race chain, but then I decided to be a bit braver and I got an 11/124" nine speed chain to try next - not even a heavy duty ebike one lol! You can probably just grind back whatever the chain is hitting. :)

Rounded bolt heads.. I have been tackling these myself just recently. I have now sworn to never buy button head bolts again lol, the allen key size is too small compared to the thread size. Use a worn down (so a small diameter) cut off wheel in your rotary tool to make a slot for your impact screwdriver.

what chain did you buy? these will take 415H or #41 as the largest sizes that fit (and the #41 is a bit wider than needed)

some drive covers are a bit thick, so taking a piece out where chain rubs is needed (right in middle between the two vertically aligned screws)

what is 'case head'?

note: always feed chain in from bottom after taking cover off so as not to loosen nut that holds in woodruff key under sprocket

hand-impact driver is what I use - sometimes folks can get it by just hammering a screwdriver into it

looks like that should work - I'm guessing that the "108" in the label is the link count - most kits come with a 110 count, but it is rare that 4 to 6 links don't need to be cut off to fit it to the frame

Back