Chain too long !

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by LouisianaRider, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Exactly what the title says. I tried installing my motor today, and everything fit fine except the chain. It seems like it is several inches too long, even with the tensioner. My bike is a Schwinn High Plains 4.6 fs. Can you take links out of the chain or is it just not going to be possible to install it on this bike.

<
  2. JosephGarcia

JosephGarcia Guest

Yes, use a chain breaker. Everyone has to cut their chains smaller.

3. gone_fishin

gone_fishin Guest

certainly, you can take as many links as you need to out, get yourself a chainbreaker, $4 most anywhere.

there's a bit more about that here somewhere...

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Chain breaker at Wal-Mart 3.88. or if you have a grinding wheel (my method) just grind two pins off one link and use a punch or nail to punch the ground off link out.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

BTW- if everything fit fine, you are one lucky dog. :D

6. Dockspa1

Dockspa1 Guest

It will never fit, but I am willing out of the goodness of my heart to offer you ten bucks for the whole works.
    P.S. Just jerking your chain. You can use a grinder to remove the link pins then tap them out in a vise with a punch.
    Doc

7. thatsdax

thatsdax Guest

All I do is..

All I do is grind the titties off and flush with the link I want to remove. Then lay the chain on the cement and take a hammer and screw driver and pop it off...Takes me less than a min. but..I have a bench grinder.