Chain too long !

L

LouisianaRider

Exactly what the title says. I tried installing my motor today, and everything fit fine except the chain. It seems like it is several inches too long, even with the tensioner. My bike is a Schwinn High Plains 4.6 fs. Can you take links out of the chain or is it just not going to be possible to install it on this bike.

certainly, you can take as many links as you need to out, get yourself a chainbreaker, $4 most anywhere.

there's a bit more about that here somewhere...

Chain breaker at Wal-Mart 3.88. or if you have a grinding wheel (my method) just grind two pins off one link and use a punch or nail to punch the ground off link out.

It will never fit, but I am willing out of the goodness of my heart to offer you ten bucks for the whole works.
P.S. Just jerking your chain. You can use a grinder to remove the link pins then tap them out in a vise with a punch.
Doc

All I do is..

All I do is grind the titties off and flush with the link I want to remove. Then lay the chain on the cement and take a hammer and screw driver and pop it off...Takes me less than a min. but..I have a bench grinder.

Back