Chains Chain Woes...

BowlSnapper

Local time
12:13 AM
I have a 60 dollar magna that I got from target and put a HT motor on it.The chain decided to derail from the sprocket, pull down the tensioner, and the tensioner would go into the spokes. It did it a few times after 20 minutes of awesome riding. Now the tensioner won't stay put, the chain keeps derailing to the inside, and my wheel is shredded.

I suspect the sprocket was not on tightly or strait and it caused damage.

I need new parts for my bike... I need to either find a better tensioner that grips the frame like ****, or eliminate the tensioner and take a risk on the chain size not working out. I need a new rear wheel... but I have no idea how to find an exact match for what I need. Oh, and I need decent sprocket rubber clamp things. The ones I got SUCK.

I am in desperation. Can anyone help?

Chain

Throw the tensioner away, go and buy or borrow a chain tool and take out the required links,you can adjust the back wheel forward and backward to tighten the chain.The chain will stretch over the next month or so and you just keep adjusting the back wheel a bit,check it before every ride. It will be the best thing you can do, I did it and will never use a tensioner again.There are others here who may tell you that you need a tensioner, thats ****, its more hassle and more dangerous than its worth. Mac

I agree with MotorMac. Get rid of that tensioner! Someone else on here used spacers on the motor mount to set the tension. Mine is setup as described above and I haven't had any problems with it. It has not stretched either as a most claim it will. Maybe it has something to do with different chain types though.

Oh snap! Did that part come with that mounting bracket with bolts and everything? If so, I'll order it today.

Oh, and where can I find a replacement rear wheel for my magna? I need a no-bs method of acquiring it, and would like to avoid the sketchy bike shops around my place.

It's so funny. I have the same bike in the same color... and the same fuxored frame right where the tensioner used to be :) Hilarious.

Last edited:
Oh snap! Did that part come with that mounting bracket with bolts and everything? If so, I'll order it today.

Oh, and where can I find a replacement rear wheel for my magna? I need a no-bs method of acquiring it, and would like to avoid the sketchy bike shops around my place.

It's so funny. I have the same bike in the same color... and the same fuxored frame right where the tensioner used to be :) Hilarious.

No it didnt come that way, the bracket IS actually part of the old tensioner lol. Took bending some alltherad rod, cutting the old tensioner bracket, and fitting to frame, a couple of hours, but well worth the time. I dont know where to get a wheel other than the bike shop OR Ebay, maybe...

I never installed a chain tightener for the drive chain. I remembered an old dirt bike trick. We always used chain saw chain lube on our drive chains. My first motoredbike chain lasted about 150 miles using bicycle chain lube and stretched too much to suit me. I switched to the saw chain lube and have put on another 350 miles with very little stretch. My advice - forget the tensioner & switch the lube.

Okay, I've figured out everything I need to do, but two things:

1, is that little black master link clip a universal fit so I can get it at a store, or do I have to get a master link from dax?

2. Where the **** can I find a 5 speed 26" rear wheel? I can't find them anywhere!!!!

Okay, I've figured out everything I need to do, but two things:

1, is that little black master link clip a universal fit so I can get it at a store, or do I have to get a master link from dax?

They are universal as long as you get one for 415 chain........

2. Where the **** can I find a 5 speed 26" rear wheel? I can't find them anywhere!!!!

I would try Ebay......Or bike shop.....

Yes, you will have to order the black master link clip from a vendor on here such as dax. I lost mine and tried using a # 41 master link but that didn't work out so well.

As for the wheel, misteright's advice is probably best. I've also had trouble finding the same type of wheel. You could also look for a cheap used bike at a thrift store to salvage a wheel from.

Back