Chains Chain Woes...

chain

Bowlsnapper, it might be easier and better in the long run to go to your Tractor supply store or small engine shop and get #41 chain,masterlinks are very common and easy to get for #41,,the chain you have is #415 and masterlinks you have to order special. #41 is a perfect fit and stronger too.

Thanks, guys! I actually picked up a #41 chain and a butt-load of M-Links and half-links to be sure.... but I forgot a chain break!!!!! It DOES slide side to side a little on the sprocket, but, then again, I DID file those teeth down a bit...

But my boss is actually helping me out with the breaker, so I think I might be able to finish this by tonight :)

When it IS done, I'll post a video in THIS thread, and the appropriate section for such a thing as well.

Oh yeah, what should I use to space the rear mount without having to go and buy/fabricate MORE parts? Can I use the old grip from my handlebars or something like that?

The chain is 1/16" wider I believe, so it is going to move side to side maybe why it works so much better, but there is enough clearance inside the sprocket cover. As far as the chain break, I didnt use one, I punched the pins out with an awl and hammer.

.... Really? What the heck did you support the chain with to keep the pin in the air for it to come out?

chain

Bowlsnapper, there are several ways to shorten the chain, you can punch them out, or grind the ends of the pins and knock them out, or by far the easiest is to use a chainbreaker,the right tool for the job and if your boss is going to show you how thats great.
Loosen the back wheel of your bike slightly so you can move it forward alittle bit , now with the chain on the bike carefully mark the link you want to remove,hold the two ends together as tight as you can making sure you can get a link in between dont make it too short!! Reattach the chain with the masterlinks prongs facing the rear on the top chain.
Now pull back that back wheel so the chain is tight,making sure the wheel is straight. tighten down the wheel bolts good and tight. The chain will stretch and loosen over a period of several weeks, during this time you need to watch the chain and keep adjusting it, there will come a time when the chain will be a perfect fit, and never have a need to worry about it again and no tensioners to worry about too..
Hope this helps!! MAC

.... Really? What the heck did you support the chain with to keep the pin in the air for it to come out?

I set it on top of a vise, not clamped in but the vise just barely open for the pin to go thru. You could also use a block of wood with a small hole, a socket, a small nut, just bout anything with a hole in it.....

Back