Sprockets Chain wont stay on sprocket

Andrew735

Local time
4:18 PM
My chain keeps coming off of the sprocket. I heard about grinding off some of the crome from the sprocket, but im not sure if thats the problem. Take a look and see if you can help me or send me to a page that can. thanks!
CIMG0122.jpg

CIMG0123.jpg

Those are really nice close ups
Place or wrap a wire pointer around the bikes frame. Next to the sprocket.
Spin the tire.
Does the sprocket wobble when compared to the pointer
Tighten the high spots.
Loosen the low spots a little bit.
You need sprocket, rag washer, spokes, rag washer, and finally backing plate.
This can take an hour. If you are not careful.

Super glue the finished work.

The chain doesnt seem to fit it. Take the wheel off and wrap the chain around the sprocket to see if it fits in the grooves all the way around. It It looks like it fits correctly in the rear but on the front/ bottom it looks like the rollers are hitting top of teeth, might have been made wrong.

I did take a dremel tool with a bit and take some of the excess chrome off both my sprockets but neither one looked that bad...but maybe its just how I see the chain in the pic..

Those are really nice close ups
Place or wrap a wire pointer around the bikes frame. Next to the sprocket.
Spin the tire.
Does the sprocket wobble when compared to the pointer
Tighten the high spots.
Loosen the low spots a little bit.
You need sprocket, rag washer, spokes, rag washer, and finally backing plate.
This can take an hour. If you are not careful.

Super glue the finished work.

I did that and the sprocket did wobble. The sprocket wasnt mounted perfectly in the center of the hub so one side was higher than the other. I took the wheel off and loosened the bolts. now i just have to tighten them and make sure it stays flush in the middle. thanks for your help.

Wait, why is there a metal plate and rubber doughnut on the outside of the sprocket? One rubber goes on the inside of the spokes, one on the outside- both on the spoke side of the sprocket.

Spad mentioned that, but it will cause problems if you do not do it this way. Here is a pic from Dax' website.

Attachments

• MVC-001F6-436x357.jpg
    MVC-001F6-436x357.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 512
Wait, why is there a metal plate and rubber doughnut on the outside of the sprocket? One rubber goes on the inside of the spokes, one on the outside- both on the spoke side of the sprocket.

Spad mentioned that, but it will cause problems if you do not do it this way. Here is a pic from Dax' website.

yea i have the rubber doughnuts in the right spot, but the sprocket wasnt centered on the wheel hub, so that caused it to wobble.

Hey everyone! i took the chain and wrapped it around the sprocket and this is what happened... im not sure what to do now. i think i might just have to take some of the crome off of the sprocket, but im not sure if that will make that much of a difference. take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks!

Attachments

• CIMG0124.jpg
    CIMG0124.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 502
  • CIMG0125.jpg
    CIMG0125.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 486
Back