Chainring Rubbing Frame

YetiWoodz

Local time
7:42 PM
20211120_154934.jpg

The chainring was always close to the frame, but now its grinding against it. Crankset has play in it but always did. I got it as tight as can be with wrenches. I believe the bearings are fine. The chainring follows that play a little so it will grind half a rotation and clear on the other half.

I'm at a loss lol what can I do so it doesn't grind?

Go a couple teeth less on your chain ring, or adjust your crank bearing nuts to offset the chainring to the side your having clearance issues on. Sounds like your chain ring is not true to the crankshaft.

On mine the retaining nut is on the opposite side of the chainring. Should I add a spacer on that side or take one out?
20211125_130500.jpg

Take the crank out and you'll see the retaining nut/bearing cone holding the sprocket on the washer will go under that.
It probably already has a washer but ya need to add another one to shim out the sprocket

To find another washer get one from a junk bike with a one piece crank as the washer probably needs a special DIA to allow for clearance

Those washers can be ordered, But IDK where. A bike shop would have em

Do you remember if the right side bearing cone nut on the crank has R/H or L/H threads ? I forget
Right side is R/H. Bearings came out and cages are bent in several places too. I was like ugh, now I gotta find these parts. Then I just found these in my garage 😆🙂
20211125_144627.jpg

I had a feeling that was the issue
looks like ya don't need to shim the sprocket and just put in new bearings

Back