Chainsaws,weedwhackers,snow blowers...oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I knew they were geared down but I didn't realize that it was that much....most motorcycles have a primary reduction of closer to 2/1.

I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Interesting observation. That brings up an idea. If you changed the position of the magnet on the crankshaft you could run the engine the other direction and mount it upside down to drive the other side of the bike wheel. You would have to make an intake manifold to keep the carb upright. With a big bike frame you could run 2 engines, one driving each side of the rear wheel.

Moth

Bikeguy Joe said:
I also just realized these China engines run BACKWARDS!!!!!!!

Hugemoth said:
an idea. If you changed the position of the magnet on the crankshaft you could run the engine the other direction

hmmmm.....you lost me, Moth. :???: What does the position of the magnet have to do with direction? would it be timing?
--------------------------------------------------
also, if the chinese engine was mounted up-side-down, would the bottom end get lubed properly? (might be a silly question, but gravity still blows me away. :)

meanwhile....back at the ranch......

oh yeah.....chainsaw engine gear reduction.
somebody correct/school me at any point.
okay...what we know....the chinese engine is reduced 83/20, roughly 4/1.
I use 10 tooth front, 50 tooth rear, another 5/1...so we're up to 9/1. Am I right so far?
On my mcculloch engine, if a jackshaft was used....I need to know ballpark numbers to achieve the same 9/1 reduction. would you start with 10 teeth on the engine to, say 44 on the jackshaft.....then 10 from the jackshaft to 44 on the rear wheel? Am I getting warm?

Yes. That's where you want to go with it. Not only are you in the ballpark, you've got box seats on the tird baseline!

"put me in Coach, I'm ready to play" :D
I'm thinking rackmount here. Seems (in my mind) easier, for mounting & chain alignment issues. Plus, I really dig what Haggard is doing.

Coming Soon.......

59_100_1482_1.jpg

59_100_1490_2.jpg

59_100_1495_2.jpg

59_100_1496_1.jpg

59_100_1492_1.jpg

to be continued........

I have a couple of 100cc and a 125cc Husky powerheads. I have thought of machining an adapter to fit the spline on the clutch and the internal threads of a trackbike hub cog(sprocket). The saws are much wider than the little chinese bike engines.
HUsqvarna 3120XP Cylinder displacement: 7.3 cu.inch / 118.8 cc
Power 8.4 hp / 6.2 kW
Max RPM 12 000
Here's a picture of the Dolmer motorcycle powered by 24 chainsaw powerheads:

Attachments

• 168_dolmettestart2_1.jpg
    168_dolmettestart2_1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 2,160
Last edited by a moderator:
psuggmogg... you have a pm....gotta couple questions fer ya, if ya don't mind :cool:

i saw the videos of that monster chainsaw machine....took forever to start...what a screamer!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back