Chainsaws,weedwhackers,snow blowers...oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried the same idea with a chopper bike, and busted out the plasma cutter after the triple gear reductions and all three chains failed to bring my ratio to under a ten mph IDLE!!! Twas a blast all the way through, but i would never attempt such a complicated mess again... I think that thing could have succesfully turned back into a toothless chainsaw on my inner thigh, was WAY too dangerous. The bike will see another motor someday... anyways... nice work, be carefull, and invest in chain guards! lol

I tried the same idea with a chopper bike, and busted out the plasma cutter after the triple gear reductions and all three chains failed to bring my ratio to under a ten mph IDLE!!! Twas a blast all the way through, but i would never attempt such a complicated mess again... I think that thing could have succesfully turned back into a toothless chainsaw on my inner thigh, was WAY too dangerous. The bike will see another motor someday... anyways... nice work, be carefull, and invest in chain guards! lol

With chains and sprockets, you definitely need a clutch. If not, the engine will not disengage and run the bike to 10 mph in idle.....just like yours does.:geek:

Here is a successful chainsaw bike (40-45mph!) It is a friction drive using a little tire to turn the bicycle tire.
It has a really weird looking expansion pipe, but look at this dude go!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da9NaBMKCjY

This guy lives on the east side of Honolulu, about 20 miles from me. I travel that way once every 6 months. The highway there has excellent pavement, long stretches and heavy traffic going 35mph-45mph.

That youtube was shot two miles above Waikiki. One way traffic is mild, 20-35 mph speeds, okay roads. If I rode there, I'd be in the second lane from either curb.

If we were to race, I would beat him. He has to pedal furiously from a stop to start his engine. By the time it kicks in, I'd be long gone.

And I ALWAYS stop accelerating @ 5mph above the speed limit. By the time Mr. Chainsaw catches up, I be cruising.:devilish:

Why does he have to rotate it so fast to start? Is it the jetting on the carb, or the freaky looking expansion pipe? It looks like it is just high-geared, so that it is actually firing and running weakly as he pedals, but hits an rpm range it likes and accelerates more rapidly (not lugging).

Is it true the police confiscate bikes at the Critical Mass rides (in Hawaii, like some of the commenters on the ytb video suggest), even for non offending riders (polite traffic)? If so, that would be crazy to ride the MB there. He would stand out so surely would catch more scrutiny or harrassment.

Last edited:
The MB rider was not heading towards a Critical Mass gathering. He was meeting a friend he'd just called on his cell phone.

The street he's on passes the Honolulu Police Dept.'s main station two miles away. I doubt he rides there.(I "phantom pedal" when I pass there on rare occasions). :whistle:

If I bump into him, I'll ask him about his bike's operation.

As the poster's mentioned, he's asking for trouble with no protective gear and rubber slippers.:sick:

What would happen if the MB rider hit a wet patch or, Heaven forbid, a oil patch? Where I'm at there everywhere.

I live in FL... in the summer time I notice that the police have much sympathy for anyone braving a bike motor or not in these temps of late. Still I like the simplicity of his set up and can see a hint of experience with how he is riding it minus his safety virtues

What would happen if the MB rider hit a wet patch or, Heaven forbid, a oil patch? Where I'm at there everywhere.

I live in FL... in the summer time I notice that the police have much sympathy for anyone braving a bike motor or not in these temps of late. Still I like the simplicity of his set up and can see a hint of experience with how he is riding it minus his safety virtues

I just rode on that street two hours ago and eyeballed it.:geek:

The road is fair, with LONNNG patches in the lane he was riding in. It is a 25 mph zone, so he was WAY past the speed limit.

Wet roads does seem a problem for me, but I ride slower when roads are wet. Haven't had problems with an oil patch yet. HOWEVER, it's those wet steel plates, manhole covers and plastic "reminders" I watch out for.

Does anyone know if you can mount a conventional v-belt type pulley on a chainsaw, such as if you have stripped the housing off and the bar? If you can mount a long piece of square tubing to the place where the bar conventionally goes (the two large bolts), I think it might be easier than I thought to make a chainsaw bike, and gear it closer to 30 than 50!

Small world, when someone can post a bike video and someone says "Hey I know that guy" (or recognize him). I guess maybe when you live on an Island it's like that even more.

I'm a fan of the staton-drive type, but as far as I know, they aren't compatible with chainsaw engines. If anyone knows different, please redirect me to the proper thread.
Otherwise I just plan to get a roller drive kit and some standard engine. I've been holding out a really long time for a BmP, but if I get $300 to spend on MB before they resume sales, I'll probably get something else.

Last edited:
I don't KNOW the guy, but he looks and acts familiar to me.

Bump start MB's must be a pain to run on busy streets, especially in gridlock. Methinks a lever to raise and lower the engine onto the tire would make this bike more enjoyable.:unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back