Charged with driving while license suspended and operating an unregistered vehicle

S

Simonator

I been riding my bike around my area for the past 6 months with no problems at all. I have motored by many cops without being pulled over. Cops have been behind me. They just pass me and keep on going. I know that several cops in my area must know my bike is motorized.
I rode to Grand Haven, Michigan this weekend to visit my brother. Yesterday I started to ride up to the store. On the way there i looked back and saw a cop following me. I kept on going. Then when I got to the store I pulled into the parking lot. He put his lights on. The cop was a white male probably in his late 20s. So he approaches me and and said, "that's a motor vehicle, it is supposed to be registered". I said that I did not know that. I said Many states have a pedal assist law that classifys these as bicycles. I said I thought this state was one of them. He disagreed with me and said that all motor vehicles have to be registered, even electric scooters. I didn't want to push my luck so I just shut up and gave him my ID and let him go back to the car. He did ask me the engine size. I lied and said 49cc. I knew I was getting a ticket. He was in the car for a good 10 minutes. He comes back and hands me a ticket for 2 misdemeanors. Driving while license suspended, and operating an unregistered vehicle. This is total BS. He charged me with the same charges as if I was operating a car!!! I could go to jail for 93 days for each violation!!! This is rediculous. What harm am I going to do on a bicycle with a motor! Unfortunately, I do not have the funds to hire a lawyer. I am not sure if I am going to fight this, or get a court appointed lawyer to make a deal with the judge. I will keep you all updated as this progresses. I go to court on October 15th. I am pleading not guilty.

I REFUSE to stop riding my bike. I am going to keep on riding it unless I start getting in trouble for riding it in my area. I stick it to the man!

:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry to hear that story. Is there a motorized bicycle statute that exists in Michigan?

I am sorry to hear that story. Is there a motorized bicycle statute that exists in Michigan?

I believe it is classified as a moped in this state. To ride a moped in Michigan you need a valid drivers license, or a moped license (which you cant get if your license is suspended)

Michigan sucks.

Man. Cross a state line you may as well be entering a whole other country.

What disturbs me is that if you KNOW what the law is and you cannot abide by it why cry when you get busted. I know that it sucks. But geeze man, you know you are in the wrong to begin with. Why push your luck?

Bummer, bummer. If the fact is such you were in the wrong sorry to say. I really feel
for you. Sounds like you'll have to start peddling if your not i jail. I'll wish for the best.

What disturbs me is that if you KNOW what the law is and you cannot abide by it why cry when you get busted. I know that it sucks. But geeze man, you know you are in the wrong to begin with. Why push your luck?

Because I am young and stupid I guess... i don't know.... I do know that I will not get my license back for a long long time. I built this so I don't have to pedal a bike everywhere. Pedaling everywhere drives me INSANE! I guessed that most cops would let me off with a warning the first time. It's not really a bicycle, and not really a moped. It's something I built. Cops are D*CKS in my brothers town. You know what? There are so many ridiculous laws now days it is almost impossible to obey them all. I swear the law sets you up for failure. What is this country coming to. I guess I am kind of a rebel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bummer, bummer. If the fact is such you were in the wrong sorry to say. I really feel
for you. Sounds like you'll have to start peddling if your not i jail. I'll wish for the best.

I wont do it unless I start getting nailed in my area. So far cops haven't been messing with me. I just wont ride around in my brothers town anymore.

Because I am young and stupid I guess...

[...snip]

I guess I am kind of a rebel.

err, maybe you are young and stupid, although the fact you said it yourself hints at enough maturity for self-awareness, at least.

Rebel? I don't think so.
James Dean wouldn't bother even noticing you.

What did you do to lose your license in the first place?

Go to court, plead not guilty, speak with the prosecutor and try and explain that you just did not know and beg for mercy from him!

Michigan sounds like a tough tough state up there!

Back