Charged with driving while license suspended and operating an unregistered vehicle

the one thing you got to remember is it cost them to put you in jail and feed you---they really want your fine money.That may not keep you out of jail--but going to court ,tieing up a jury & judge all day then feeding you is a loosing deal for the city.You didn't cause any problems--just road a motorassised bicycle to the store.Be sure to look up your state's laws.Know all the answers before you ask them--the cop has to take the stand---you don't!

I been riding my bike around my area for the past 6 months with no problems at all. I have motored by many cops without being pulled over. Cops have been behind me. They just pass me and keep on going. I know that several cops in my area must know my bike is motorized.
I rode to Grand Haven, Michigan this weekend to visit my brother. Yesterday I started to ride up to the store. On the way there i looked back and saw a cop following me. I kept on going. Then when I got to the store I pulled into the parking lot. He put his lights on. The cop was a white male probably in his late 20s. So he approaches me and and said, "that's a motor vehicle, it is supposed to be registered". I said that I did not know that. I said Many states have a pedal assist law that classifys these as bicycles. I said I thought this state was one of them. He disagreed with me and said that all motor vehicles have to be registered, even electric scooters. I didn't want to push my luck so I just shut up and gave him my ID and let him go back to the car. He did ask me the engine size. I lied and said 49cc. I knew I was getting a ticket. He was in the car for a good 10 minutes. He comes back and hands me a ticket for 2 misdemeanors. Driving while license suspended, and operating an unregistered vehicle. This is total BS. He charged me with the same charges as if I was operating a car!!! I could go to jail for 93 days for each violation!!! This is rediculous. What harm am I going to do on a bicycle with a motor! Unfortunately, I do not have the funds to hire a lawyer. I am not sure if I am going to fight this, or get a court appointed lawyer to make a deal with the judge. I will keep you all updated as this progresses. I go to court on October 15th. I am pleading not guilty.

I REFUSE to stop riding my bike. I am going to keep on riding it unless I start getting in trouble for riding it in my area. I stick it to the man!

:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

WTF. I thought you all would've learned a lesson with my horrible expirence. Well anyway good luck in the courts if you go,

Laws,laws, And More Laws!!

It's unfortunate that Michigans law consider MBs mopeds,maybe that can be changed.Still, I would not operate a MB if illegal.The minute the officer saw your previous convictions you were done,and don't expect the judge to cut you any slack,I doubt it.We have to face the fact that we live in a police state and the highways are an excellent source of revenue for the state.I hope you make out okay,maybe they will offer a plea agreement,reckless driving or something.

It's unfortunate that Michigans law consider MBs mopeds,maybe that can be changed.Still, I would not operate a MB if illegal.The minute the officer saw your previous convictions you were done,and don't expect the judge to cut you any slack,I doubt it.We have to face the fact that we live in a police state and the highways are an excellent source of revenue for the state.I hope you make out okay,maybe they will offer a plea agreement,reckless driving or something.

Well, I hope he looks at it like, at least he's not driving a car. Who knows. It depends on the judge. My brother has been before the judge that I will most likely have. He said he is an understanding judge. Honestly, I am not that concerned about what might happen. IMO, I feel that I have done nothing wrong. If I am going to get thrown in jail for riding a stupid pedal assist bike, ill laugh out loud in court. Screw them. The whole legal system has their heads up their @sses. I can't live my life forever without a motor vehicle. It might be 10 years before I get my license back. I pedaled a bicycle for 2 years and I am still not any closer to getting my license back. I give up. I NEED my motorized bike. I might have to move into a state that allows them.

I hope you make out okay,maybe they will offer a plea agreement,reckless driving or something.

well - that sure would sound good
but - in most cases where ones such as us have suspended drivers license
the DA usually has no reason to play -- LET'S MAKE A DEAL.

my cousin just received one of these same kind of tickets
could have been 6 months in jail with a fine and towed car
he got just the fine -- 13 hundred dollars

bottom line in this case seems to be
in your state - does one have to have a license to ride a MB ?

can we gather up -- some kind of paperwork to take with us to court ???
there are MANY sites -- just copy what sounds good..

wishing much luck --------------- from - Mountainman

legal stuff

I guess it all depends on the judge,our local magistrate is a former cop from our town (can you say conflict of interest),he held me on $45,000 bail for a DUI.Thats a constitutional violation is most peoples minds,even prosecutors.Then again there are alot of judges willing to give you a break,I just hope they don't consider violating your probation.If I were you I wouldn't continue to ride,it's not worth it.In other words,"If you find yourself in a hole,stop digging".The courts don't mind burrying you in fines and other entanglements,don't allow them to.How long is your license suspension anyway?

I checked out the Michigan law and it's pretty cheesy.To not differentiate between mopeds and what most states deem power-assisted bicycles seems like legislative apathy.I wonder if it wouldn't help to bring pictures of the bike along with copies of statute from other states regarding motorized/motor-assisted bicycles to show the judge.The fact that you were seeking an alternative means of transportation should weigh in your favor if you can overcome your significant priors which really depends on the judge/prosecutor,I'm thinking the latter would make the decision in most cases.At the very least you and all the michigan guys here should lobby your state reps about the situation and have the law changed if possible.The fact that your still young should help with the court situation as well.

Back