Chasing Kows,,, Bust'ing Dirt !!!

Don_Parsons

Howdy All

Time has come to start a thread,,, what better title could a person choose,,,

Here's my intro before I start tell true BS stories,,, funny thing is that I spend a life of being wrong,,, Ha...

My name is Brother Don

A middle age Farmer of Grain and Cattle with work in the Oil Patch Rig moving sector,,, heavy haul wheelers,,, Super Sow-Bed and Husky Track machines... Ha

All of Western Canada and lower Alaska,,, Wrigley and Territories...

Get to punch big holes in swamps 4 to 6 feet deep moving drilling rigs,,, 60 to 130 loadd get-well site...

My hobbies are Hunting,,, fishing,,, ohv,,, pedal biking,,, kayking,,, hiking,,, winter sledding,,, archery,,, long range F class shooting,,, welder,,, mechanic,,, fab builder,,, and not very good at electrical... lol,,, did i mention carpender of crooked buildings...

Jack of all trades and master of none...

I just started with my first Zeda 80cc factory non-mod kit 2 weeks ago with 4 or 500 miles under my belt,,, deffinaly a learning curve...

I attached it to a Steel Frame 2003 ridged frame Black River Canyon Mountain bike 21 speed,,, tuff as nails,,, a bit of motor mount modd-ing,,, she fits like a glove...

IMG_0686(1).jpg

A few changes coming up,,, 56 tooth rear gear to slow it down,,, might change the re-turn roller bracket... and dual cable/ single brake lever,,, and a few other small things...

Other then that,,, the unit rocks,,, comfortable 14 to 18 mpr,,, hoping to find the 7 to 9 mpr catagory,,, might need to do the Jack-shaft thing,,, using the rear gear cluster would be a bonus...

I'll post a few photos later on as well...

Any-Who,,, I can't wait to jump on board with you folks...

Don

Don_Parsons

Also a part-time farmer,,, cattle and grain operations in western Canada. I had time this spring to build my first bike about a month ago just passed the 500-mile mark on it it's awesome.
20200509_093048.jpg
20200509_093723.jpg
20200509_095611.jpg
20200509_181032.jpg
20200509_101621.jpg

Attachments

Don_Parsons

This is my first build...
20200428_145007.jpg

27 Year Old Black River Canyon... I put about a thousand miles on it heavily then I stored it in the barn for 14 years Road it once in awhile but not very often...

Picked up 2020 Zeda 80cc,,, a factoy unit to last,,, 1 to 2 hp,,, thats plenty good enough for my likes,,, 25 to 30 mpr is pretty fast for a ridged Cross Over/ Mountain Bike,,, 10/ 44 tooth,,, deffinaly will do a 56 sprocket coming up...

14.7 mpr top end in hopes of 7 to 9 at cruising speeds,,, a fraction of urban,,, alot of gravel,,, dry single track,,, and around the farm and camping,,, did I mention creek fishing,,, archery and hunting...

Moose,,, Elk,,,, Deer,,, a little bit of everything...
20200427_140049.jpg

So heres the reason for this thread
A build that caught my eye...

Classic Beach Cruiser with double spring/ Springer front forks...
Kinda like this...
8634.jpg

A fat tire rear with semi wide front...
I'll be picking up supplies this week to get it started...

Once my good friend getts his sorted,,, project 3 will get underway...

Good times for sure

From Forest Gump Don...

LOL

Don_Parsons

Now I'm on the hunt for a wide rear tire Beach Cruiser Classic,,, single main beam down the center with 2 followers on either side...

I found a double spring/ Springer front fork set up for $87 Usd,,,
Screenshot_20200506-205025_Samsung Internet.jpg

The wide fat tire on the rear will act like suspension,,, the front forks can be adjusted to get a bit more,,, at least they have the right look... Ha

Ill look for a few other accessories as well,,, old school fuel tank,,, half- fenders in glossy black,,, and beef'y Chrome Rims...

A little bit of web browsing,,, then start gluing the bad boy together...

Ye Ha to good times...

I'll find out if my supplier can get me a Stage I or II Zeda Engine,,, a strong 3 to 3 1/2 hp...
The trick is longevity for the power plant...

Don

Don_Parsons

Ok,,, heres a question ???

What do you folks do with to long of throttle and clutch cables...

Do you folks cut them and attach new lead ends,,, or order new ones that are shorter...

My friend and I are planning on shorter cables so we dont have to play the wrap around game...

That and they would look better...

Whats the plan you folks run with when the cables are to long...

Is there a place you order yours from...

Chainlube

Clutch cables, I always shorten. I go to the bicycle shop and get new ends, the little cover piece not sure what they're called, to protect the casing.
Throttle cables I've used have been borderline too long but were fine.

Wrench

Throttle cables can be bought in different lengths I suggest buying a shorter throttle cable.
Clutch cable or brake cables, Just make your own any size ya want. Since your riding a M/B now it's gonna take more maintenance than a bicycle and it's a good idea to have extra cable and housings W/housing metal ends and cable metal crimp on ends on hand. You'll always be ready to make a new brake cable or clutch cable at a moments notice.
I bought barrel end brake cable on line 10pcs 6' long for $10
50' of cable housing for $15 and a box 100pcs of housing metal ends and crimp on cable metal ends for $7.50 I'm always ready to make a new brake cable
Tip: When cutting cable housing use lineman side cutters and use a scratch awe to straighten out the cable housing end hole after ya cut it.

Attachments

Wrench

Ya know how store bought cables have the cable housing metal end crimped on?
When ya make your own brake cables the cable housing metal end just slips on. To buy a crimping tool is very $$$
I made a crimping tool from a cheep pair if wire strippers and I thought I would share with ya all how to make your own.
These pic will explain how to make the tool.

Sorry, I couldn't get the pic to pop up from an old Thread I have. So I had to take pics off the computer screen

Attachments

Last edited:

Don_Parsons

Right on,,, Thank you very much Wrench...

I guess I might as well build a few tools since this powered pedal bike thing will be on going...

Nothing wrong with having a few tools for future projects...

I seen this on one of the other threads on this forum...

The crimping tool will come in handy for the Sheath and end caps...

Don

Don_Parsons

I'll add a smidgen of tacky grease to the engine case gears today,,, 1/4 shot from the gun,,, wipe out the excess
20200509_112908.jpg

A dabb of nickel sill/ anti seize to gasket so it doesn't get baked onto the engine,,, neet little trick from the old guy... Ha
He said its wize to """Not""" use Copper coat anti-seize since its not friendly with aluminum...
Over the long haul that is...
20200509_120105.jpg
Wipe off any extra to prevent any of it from getting into the sealed gear case...

None of us need grease or nickle-sill in the closed/ dry gear case,,, pop the cover off after a few rides and wipe-out any thing along the bottom of the gear case...

I like the idea of using brake clean for keeping the clutch pack clean too...

Now its time to shorten the clutch and throttle cables...