Cheap Bicycle Speedometer

Good to hear the inexpensive speedo works! I think maybe it had to do with all your great prep-work, and I'll definitely do the same--thanks for the tips!

Me, I'm still waiting on my $30 Cateye to come in the mail...

I bought it, too.... it's been more than 2 weeks, tho.

I will definitely use your mounting procedure in hopes the speedo can actually function with all the vibrations.

$6 for a digital speedo that works would be amazing!

I just got my cheap bicycle speedometer which did cost only $6.37 shipped to my door.

Mph + clock + lotsa functions.
I mounted mine with double sided 3m foam tape, and RV GOOP.
So far very Nice!
How did you apply the GOOP?? Why don't you just tell me step by step what you did? Mine just got here today, so I'm gonna have to do the same.

BTW... it's definitely worth $6 any day. It's a shame there's no backlight, but there's enough street lamps around here that it's no biggie for me really. I don't ride at night too much right now anyway.

I wrapped the foam tape around the handlebar where the display clamp would normally use the two black filler strips.

Then I applied a fillet of Ultraviolet Resistant RV Goop around the edge of the clamp to seal the foam and to further dampen out the vibrations.
I also mounted my cdi, gas tank , and handlebar mirror with foam tape and goop.
I also mounted my engine to the bicycle frame with the factory clamps and goop to seal and isolate engine vibrations.
I was not happy with the extremely small clearance between the spoke magnet and the sensor.
My sensor moved when testing so I glued (GOOP'ed) every thing to the fork.
Goop takes 24 hours to cure.

I had to trim the plastic around the face of the spoke magnet.

Did I mention I like goop. I even used it to mount a white wire powered led tail light to my rear luggage rack . (Norman inspired)

Then I applied a fillet of Ultraviolet Resistant RV Goop around the edge of the clamp to seal the foam and to further dampen out the vibrations.
Two questions... (1) is ultraviolet resistant rv goop much better than the regular "automotive goop"? i've never used this stuff before. (2) i'm about to test it with foam only first, but if it doesn't work... you placed the goop only on the last bit of overlapping foam as a seal & all around both sides of the clamp?

I also mounted my cdi, gas tank , and handlebar mirror with foam tape and goop.
That's a lotta goop!!

I was not happy with the extremely small clearance between the spoke magnet and the sensor.
My sensor moved when testing so I glued (GOOP'ed) every thing to the fork.
Odd... I've only tested it for a minute, but the sensor seems to be working. Seems very odd you'd need to trim the magnet as well.

I live in the mohave desert the heat and light level is high

The goop is used as both a glue and gasket on my engine mount. I still used the clamps that came with my kit, After reading all the problems with loose motor mounts I decided to use a spad building material.
My engine does not vibrate loose.

The regular goop is made for indoor use.
The uv resistant goop justs lasts longer outdoors.
I have not had any problems with either one outdoors yet. But the maker says uv resistance goop is better outdoors. Just as they say marine goop is better where it is wet all the time.

My favorite glue's are polyglue, goop, superglue, red rtv, and loctite blue. I have used all of them on my motorized bicycle.
About the only spad building material I have not used is a piece of poly cutting board engine mount LOL!
Shhhhh ! There is a small piece of coro used in my bike build.
So I am riding a S. P. A.D.!
I have replaced one fuel filter and carb, many brake pads, both rims, tubes, tires, one drive sprocket and chain, and two kickstands the local gusty wind bends them up while parked.. I grease a growing number of critical ( they get noisy use a screw driver like a stethescope to listen in to your engine squeaks or noises.) points on my engine.
As a nut or bolt loosens i goop it back on then tighten the bolt ,no gooped piece has ever loosened again.

My speedo readings were not the same while testing until a very small magnet to sensor gap made repeatable readings possible. My magnet was recessed in the plastic housing by at least the 1 mm gap.

If you are not comfortable with the double sided sticky tape jump to the ultimate cushion material cut a strip of mousepad material to use between the display mount and the handlebar.
Dont over tighten the cushioning material, or the easy to use foam tape, until it is useless.

Last edited:
Only glue I've ever been fond of before was krazy glue. Nothing stronger for the price.

So, if you use goop on your bolts, what do you use the blue loctite on??

As for the "cheap speedometer", I used just enough 3M sticky foam tape so that I could screw down the clamp for the mount... it doesn't cut out now like it did with the stock robber strips. I then just used one ziptie to hold my 3 cables & 1 wire together.. I realized I couldn't goop too much because I have a folding bicycle & I need a good bit of play with the wire.

At least I have some goop for next time...

But man... this speedometer & some 3M sticky foam tape is really worth the money!!! This speedo is better than my wildest dreams. This, the Bell Multi-tool, & this $4 helmet I found at the thrift store are the greatest gifts a biker could ask for.

I just used some super glue 25 cents a tube from Wallyworld

I cut my baffle too short in the muffler.
I used superglue to attach a screen baffle because it wont burn.
And Yes I repaired my popping muffler with superglue.

In my opinion superglues are brittle, and break easily if flexed.
Now purrr, powerband, More powerband, Way too fast.
No popping!

I use Locktite blue on the clutch, drive sprocket, carb,

I use all kinds of glue.

My twist throttle arrived broken. I have used the broken throttle assembly on two handlebars. Goop fixed this mess like new.

Not to bubble up an old thread, but these speedo's are only like 4.50 now with free shipping from china

Back