Cheap Friction Drive.

Cannonball3

Local time
8:46 PM
I decided to venture back into FD riding with a cheaper FD kit sold on ebay. I still have a few FD builds I have had for years, but wanted to try the common kit offering. I figured it would be more of a materials kit with the builder having to mod it to proper operation and man was I right.
The kit I got was the lock n load style with a 43cc 2stroke engine. Complete kit price was $130 shipped which I thought reasonable.
The basics of the kit were very decent. The issue was in the roller shaft/bearings. One bearing had a broken ball I assume from driving it in place. The shaft was isolated on both ends with circlips. The one on the drive end held the clutch drum so far out it hit the clutch bolts. Solution was to remove that circlip and move it fully home against the bearing (both new of course). The roller is keyed to the shaft with a very short keyway. That required removing a portion of the key. Roller fit loosely on the shaft rattling when idling with the roller off the tire. So drilled and tapped for a 1/4 set screw. Finally was ready for a run, and it worked well.

The roller was a 1 1/2” sort paddle style. Coupled with the 43cc which is a real power house, it was pretty quick easily reaching
north of 30. What I really wanted this kit for was to try one of the small Honda 4stroke clones which I had, a 31cc GX clone. For it I turned the roller to 1.3” The little 31cc is a great little engine (so far) has plenty of power at least here in the flats, is super smooth and very quiet. The 43 cc thought a lot of fun sounded like a chainsaw.

So is the kit worth it? I think so particularly if a louder engine is not an issue. All the mods to make it work are simple and took about an hour plus.
I have a GX50 clone on the way along with a Staton drive kit for the next build. Thats the 4stroke in the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0966.jpeg
    IMG_0966.jpeg
    437.9 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0967.jpeg
    IMG_0967.jpeg
    493.2 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0968.jpeg
    IMG_0968.jpeg
    335.6 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0969.jpeg
    IMG_0969.jpeg
    352.9 KB · Views: 171
Cant say much about it as its largely flat here. The 43cc had no issue handling the bridge crossings in the area. They have a good bit of grade but you cross quickly. I was amazed how much power the 43 had on the 1.5. Actually accelerated pretty well for what it is.
I had no such hopes for the 31cc, thats why I turned down the roller. Its got good power with it and so far made 24mph. May get a little bit more after break in. I ordered the 1.25 from Staton. Figured the 1.75 a bit big.

How does it work out? It will be interesting to try the GX style 50. I couldnt afford the Honda. Staton had the best price I found, but I didnt spend hours scrounging. I have been very pleased with the little 31cc, hope the 50cc is equally as good.
These little 4strokes have got to get super mileage. I think the writing is on the wall for 2strokes and Ive got a bunch of em. Saw where California is wanting lawn mowers banned by 27. Seems like they are trying to ban everything.

Who knows, have fun while we can!

It does fine, about 30mph. As far as running and starting only 1 word describes it best, Honda. I'm waiting to see someone who has a clone gx50 and their experience with it. Cheapest Honda I've seen is SEW @ $339.00 now. As far as I'm concerned the GX50 is the best plug n play motor for a FD for the hobbyist.

I agree on the Honda! I should have the clone first week of May, then we will see what its about, The little 31 unless it blows up or something has been flawless so far. I did have to adjust the valves after a few runs and the valves settled in.
Will run the clone on the Staton. Staton has the GX50 for $339 also. Its nice to drop back to a bit of FD riding. Its so laid back. Also the 4strokes are so quiet that no one notices. The 43cc got immediate attention. I ordered a Briggs muffler for the 43 to add as an after muffler. Interested to see how it wortks.

Check out this listing Amazon allows. The seller listing with a Honda picture. I paid $155. when I went back a few hours to check something in the listing the price was $160. A lot of that has been going on on ebay too.

Attachments

• IMG_0972.png
    IMG_0972.png
    494.5 KB · Views: 172
Yeppers, Ebay and Amazon increase the prices if you shop checking things a lot I've noticed. Maybe we should clear all cookies then reopen the browser and go straight to what we decided on, might get the best price. I'm interested in the GX50 clones performance. Might get me one for future use. Trade with China is getting iffy in the future.

Back