Cheap suspension forks with disk brake? (1-1/8" threadless)

greenjon

Local time
11:31 AM
I'm taking suggestions for a cheap but good fork with suspension.
Needs to be 1-1/8" threadless.
Needs to have disc brake mounts.

Cheers.

At the risk of repeating myself, which I seem to do a lot, lol..

I like the older, Italian made (up to 2006), higher end Marzocchi Bomber forks, with open bath damping like a motorbike, and about the best stanchion coatings you'll find anywhere.
I didn't pay more than £51 for any of my Marzocchi forks. I still need to add a Z1 BAM to my collection and replace my Monster T that was on a bike when it was stolen, and those classics do cost a bit more.

Many people like to buy new lightweight stuff, nothing wrong with that.. it helps make my favourite forks cheaper. :D

This 21 year old Bomber Z1 is too early to have the international standard disc brake mount (Z1 BAM has IS mount but I have made a converter for the '96/'97 Z1), but note the lack of visible wear to the stanchions:
_20170307_104306.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_20180129_200557.jpg
    IMG_20180129_200557.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_20180114_082636.jpg
    IMG_20180114_082636.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20180114_082427.jpg
    IMG_20180114_082427.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I got this cheap one, it's not bad for the price, Brand Name: Suntour, 26", no pegs for rim brakes, Disc brake only and it's got lock-out. uncut steerer tube
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SR-Suntour-XCM-26-100-Suspension-Lockout-Shock-Black-1-1-8-Threadless-Bike-Fork/372216612713?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
SR Suntour forks are definitely the one to go for if you want to buy an affordable fork new. :)
SR Suntour manufacture all the Marzocchi mountain bike forks now that the Marzocchi mountain bike brand are owned by Fox (only the motorcycle Marzocchi are still based/made in Italy).
The only thing I can say against the SR Suntour, and modern mountain bike suspension in general, is we don't need lockout or lightweight when we have our awesome engines. :)
Oh and they won't last 20-odd years because they have a different type of damping, separate from the lubrication (one reason why it's lighter). ;)

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
SR Suntour forks are definitely the one to go for if you want to buy an affordable fork new. :)
SR Suntour manufacture all the Marzocchi mountain bike forks now that the Marzocchi mountain bike brand are owned by Fox (only the motorcycle Marzocchi are still based/made in Italy).
The only thing I can say against the SR Suntour, and modern mountain bike suspension in general, is we don't need lockout or lightweight when we have our awesome engines. :)
Oh and they won't last 20-odd years because they have a different type of damping, separate from the lubrication (one reason why it's lighter). ;)
Oh yeah, actually I think the ones you posted are better, but where do you find them??

Oh yeah, actually I think the ones you posted are better, but where do you find them??
On eBay.
The Marzocchi Bomber Z1 BAM (1998-99) is probably the best single crown fork, IMHO, for a motorised bicycle and it's around £100-£120, it's like my Z1 but with the IS disc brake mount.
The Marzocchi Monster T is around £275 but weighs more than most anvils lmao.
The only new fork I know of still using open bath damping is the DNM USD 150 and that's pretty cool but I haven't ever used one or seen one "in the flesh".
My favourite of the forks I own is probably the Marzocchi Bomber Z3QR20 which cost me £125 including a very nice wheelset that came with it; but it requires the 20mm front axle.
I have a newer, lighter, Marzocchi Drop Off made by SR Suntour in Taiwan, but I don't like it. I had to try one just to see, but it seems I was spoiled by the open bath damping feel, and now nothing feels as plush.

Thanks guys! I'm only seeing Marzocchi's that are expenisve and/or need rebuilt, but the SR Suntours are looking good! I really appreciate the tips.

Back