Cheap upgrades/things to do to my bike?

intrepid

Local time
9:24 PM

Here's my bike. Sorry for messy background, I can get a better pic if u like. Some info:

80cc.
30-40 year old Ross Adventurer Road Bike from craigslist, very big heavy steel frame.
Built it in the summer, it rode well. Both tires popped first day of riding, had to replace them. Had to replace cdi and magneto once each.
Maybe 2-300 miles on it? No clue, rode it a lot but nothing crazy.
44 tooth.
Not running now, still waiting for new cdi to come.
Engine is completely stock, with a replaced magneto.
Extremely skinny tires, but I dont feel like replacing the wheels, costs money. They do fine and I never crashed cause of them. Rather all black tires, but whatever.
30mph top speed, last time I rode. Did not get to try out any of the upgrades listed:
Stock exhaust with the end taken out. Also shaved it down to bare steel cause it looks cool.
I drilled holes in the bottom of the magneto cover(to prevent water and heat in magneto, youtube tip.)
Took out air filter(youtube tip, possibly a mistake). Drilled holes in and ground down the air entry for the air filter case.
Got bigger handlebars.
New clutch lever.
Lot of stuff still coming from ebay soon: Cdi, spare magneto, handlebars(arrived), clutch mounted chain tensener, speedometer, back storage rack...

What should I do to my bike? Looking for performance, comfort, or really anything you think my bike would like to have. Planning on going for some nice long rides in may. I'm a kid, and though I do have $500 laying around from job last year, and that number will only decrease the more I pour into this bike. That's why I'm looking for cheap or free. Hell, even expensive if it's really worth it. Very new here and excited to talk about this!

Last edited:
Get a expansion chamber like a mz65 or just one of those cheap amazon ones. Make sure to get the mz65 style as the others are s**t. Get a delorto style carb or if you really wanna go high end get a mikuni vm18. Do some porting, watch 2 stroke stuffing on youtube for some good tips. I would suggest opening the intake a little, not too much as it will adjust the timing. I would also raise the exhaust port height a tiny bit and make the OUTSIDE not inside of the exhaust port circular instead of square. You should easily gain 1hp from this.

Great Upgrades to get:

---> Expansion pipe-- You will get much more range on the throttle and better low end. This is one of the best performance upgrades you can do from stock. Just make sure you get a good one and not a crappy one. bigger is usually better. Read the threads on this forum to get a good idea what a good one is.

----> Rear Sprocket Adapter-- This can save you many a headache, broken spokes, and walking it home. Get rid of the stock rag joint connection and drive the hub instead of the spokes with a sprocket adapter for the rear sprocket. Just make sure you get the right size that fits your rear hub and one that won't slip. There are some crappy ones out there.

----> Port Engine-- Get out a dremel tool and port the intake, transfer, and exhaust ports. Just make sure you do it correctly, there is a right way and a wrong way, a bad port job can cost you a new $20 cylinder. If you don't know how to do this find out before attempting it.

----> High Compression Head-- Get a new high compression head with large fins. This upgrade will make your engine run much cooler and dissipate heat better. It will also provide a superior head gasket seal. You can expect to extend the life of your engine with one.

----> Reed Valve This is a major performance upgrade that will give you much more power along the entire throttle range. Make sure you have flawless brakes that can handle the extra power, also, expect a drop of about 30% plus in MPGs. This is usually accompanied with an upgraded carb as well. This is mostly a racing upgrade and it would probably better to do other upgrades first.

----> A Double Leg Kickstand-- This will make it much easier to park and work on your bike without it tipping over.

----> A shock Absorber Front Fork-- It's good when you hit an unexpected pot hole going 35 mph. If you get one, try to get one that is compatible with a disc brake so you can upgrade your front brake to disc if you want to.

----> You can get different sized rear sprockets. The stock rear sprocket is 44 tooth, a smaller tooth like a 36 tooth will give you more top end but less hill climbing ability.

---->High Performance Super Charge CDI-- I don't know if these work better than stock ones or not, never tried one.

----> Bottle Boost-- I once tried one of these, noticed no difference at all. I don't recommend it.

----> Duel Brake Lever-- Make it easy by hooking the front and back brakes onto one lever, just make sure you set the brakes to the correct tension.

There are tons more upgrades that you can get to fit your needs. These include, headlights, tail lights and brake lights for night driving, a good horn, fatter tires (the fatter they are the better it will be for traction and leaning into turns), mag rims, fenders, extended range gas tanks, kick ass road tires, speedometers, jack shaft kits so you can use bicycle gears for the engine drive. And tons more upgrades that I can't think of right now.

Get a expansion chamber like a mz65 or just one of those cheap amazon ones. Make sure to get the mz65 style as the others are sh*t. Get a delorto style carb or if you really wanna go high end get a mikuni vm18. Do some porting, watch 2 stroke stuffing on youtube for some good tips. I would suggest opening the intake a little, not too much as it will adjust the timing. I would also raise the exhaust port height a tiny bit and make the OUTSIDE not inside of the exhaust port circular instead of square. You should easily gain 1hp from this.
Good stuff. Copy pasted this into notes, will use it. I'd like to hold off on the exhaust, just to use my "upgraded" open ended stock exhaust just a little before I go pro with it and get a big boy pipe. I plan on it in the long run though...

Great Upgrades to get:

---> Expansion pipe-- You will get much more range on the throttle and better low end. This is one of the best performance upgrades you can do from stock. Just make sure you get a good one and not a crappy one. bigger is usually better. Read the threads on this forum to get a good idea what a good one is.

----> Rear Sprocket Adapter-- This can save you many a headache, broken spokes, and walking it home. Get rid of the stock rag joint connection and drive the hub instead of the spokes with a sprocket adapter for the rear sprocket. Just make sure you get the right size that fits your rear hub and one that won't slip. There are some crappy ones out there.

----> Port Engine-- Get out a dremel tool and port the intake, transfer, and exhaust ports. Just make sure you do it correctly, there is a right way and a wrong way, a bad port job can cost you a new $20 cylinder. If you don't know how to do this find out before attempting it.

----> High Compression Head-- Get a new high compression head with large fins. This upgrade will make your engine run much cooler and dissipate heat better. It will also provide a superior head gasket seal. You can expect to extend the life of your engine with one.

----> Reed Valve This is a major performance upgrade that will give you much more power along the entire throttle range. Make sure you have flawless brakes that can handle the extra power, also, expect a drop of about 30% plus in MPGs. This is usually accompanied with an upgraded carb as well. This is mostly a racing upgrade and it would probably better to do other upgrades first.

----> A Double Leg Kickstand-- This will make it much easier to park and work on your bike without it tipping over.

----> A shock Absorber Front Fork-- It's good when you hit an unexpected pot hole going 35 mph. If you get one, try to get one that is compatible with a disc brake so you can upgrade your front brake to disc if you want to.

----> You can get different sized rear sprockets. The stock rear sprocket is 44 tooth, a smaller tooth like a 36 tooth will give you more top end but less hill climbing ability.

---->High Performance Super Charge CDI-- I don't know if these work better than stock ones or not, never tried one.

----> Bottle Boost-- I once tried one of these, noticed no difference at all. I don't recommend it.

----> Duel Brake Lever-- Make it easy by hooking the front and back brakes onto one lever, just make sure you set the brakes to the correct tension.

There are tons more upgrades that you can get to fit your needs. These include, headlights, tail lights and brake lights for night driving, a good horn, fatter tires (the fatter they are the better it will be for traction and leaning into turns), mag rims, fenders, extended range gas tanks, kick ass road tires, speedometers, jack shaft kits so you can use bicycle gears for the engine drive. And tons more upgrades that I can't think of right now.
For the expansion pipe, read my reply to jug.

I need new wheels anyway, cause while I'm not dead yet, these thin wheels are scary as hell at 30mph. I think once my rag joint gives in, then that will force me to both get a thicker wheel and a sprocket adapter, and get the most use out of the death wheels and not spend my money for however long they last.

The thing with getting a high compression head is that my cylinder is not bult like others, it doesn't even have a removable head, the head is the whole cylinder, I guess I just got a weird model. Check it out.

My cylinder is smaller than other people's also. I guess I should have researched more into buying, should have gotten a zeda80 or something. Whatever.

I have quite a stupid reason to not get a double legged kickstand. Here goes: I like the fact that I have a bike, that has a motor on it. Yes, I consider this...vehicle...a bike. Not a motorcycle that used to be a bike, but a bike that is helped by motor, a motorized bike. When I use my normal kickstand, it keeps my bike bike-like and I believe this is the line that separates the bike from the motor vehicle. Basically. Not technically. Technically would mean it becomes a motorcycle the second you strap the engine on-but I'm talking basic. You get that, right? Or am I just retarded?

Suspension is a good idea, the only bulls**t excuse I have for not paying for a smart upgrade like that would be that instead of buying suspension and giving in to the pot holes, the mentality is to watch out for the potholes and prevent any accident from happening COGNITIVELY, also never even giving you bike the chance to hit any pot holes at all! Genius, right? Uh, well maybe I am just a cheap bastard.

I plan on getting a 30-something tooth sprocket once I feel I'm ready for it-the rig still needs a bit more low end power I'd think, and my brakes are AWFUL so I'd rather be safe than having a 50% chance of death every time I go over 40.

The high performance Cdis are actually a good idea, people on youtube say they help a lot when starting up in the cold, which is the root of all my troubles.

Dual brake lever gooood idea. My brakes are difficult and way way worse now with the giant handlebars, I had to put them lower down and it is very inconvienient and potentially life threatening how far I have to move my hands to get to them. Take a look at the first picture-thats one on the vertical part of the handlebars, lined up perfectly with the air compressor hose behind it so it's hard to see. It feels interesting with them in this spot, but they will not be there long. Ordering double lever now. Thanks

I can't believe no one mentioned jetting. Jet down and you'll be able to run your exhaust end cap and an air filter. A new cdi won't help cold starts unless your old one is weak. Starting problems are most likely carb problem or a seal or gasket leak.

For the expansion pipe, read my reply to jug.

I need new wheels anyway, cause while I'm not dead yet, these thin wheels are scary as hell at 30mph. I think once my rag joint gives in, then that will force me to both get a thicker wheel and a sprocket adapter, and get the most use out of the death wheels and not spend my money for however long they last.

The thing with getting a high compression head is that my cylinder is not bult like others, it doesn't even have a removable head, the head is the whole cylinder, I guess I just got a weird model. Check it out.
View attachment 94864
My cylinder is smaller than other people's also. I guess I should have researched more into buying, should have gotten a zeda80 or something. Whatever.

I have quite a stupid reason to not get a double legged kickstand. Here goes: I like the fact that I have a bike, that has a motor on it. Yes, I consider this...vehicle...a bike. Not a motorcycle that used to be a bike, but a bike that is helped by motor, a motorized bike. When I use my normal kickstand, it keeps my bike bike-like and I believe this is the line that separates the bike from the motor vehicle. Basically. Not technically. Technically would mean it becomes a motorcycle the second you strap the engine on-but I'm talking basic. You get that, right? Or am I just retarded?

Suspension is a good idea, the only bullsh*t excuse I have for not paying for a smart upgrade like that would be that instead of buying suspension and giving in to the pot holes, the mentality is to watch out for the potholes and prevent any accident from happening COGNITIVELY, also never even giving you bike the chance to hit any pot holes at all! Genius, right? Uh, well maybe I am just a cheap bastard.

I plan on getting a 30-something tooth sprocket once I feel I'm ready for it-the rig still needs a bit more low end power I'd think, and my brakes are AWFUL so I'd rather be safe than having a 50% chance of death every time I go over 40.

The high performance Cdis are actually a good idea, people on youtube say they help a lot when starting up in the cold, which is the root of all my troubles.

Dual brake lever gooood idea. My brakes are difficult and way way worse now with the giant handlebars, I had to put them lower down and it is very inconvienient and potentially life threatening how far I have to move my hands to get to them. Take a look at the first picture-thats one on the vertical part of the handlebars, lined up perfectly with the air compressor hose behind it so it's hard to see. It feels interesting with them in this spot, but they will not be there long. Ordering double lever now. Thanks
Yeah, i have a MZ65, I think they are probably one of the best pipes you can get for these engines.

I understand what the high performance CDIs do, I understand the concept, but I just don't know how much of a difference it will make.

Also, I noticed in that picture that you have the spark plug cap unscrewed. Some kits come with really cheap plastic spark plug boots that require you to unscrew the spark plug cap on the spark plug to get them to work, if you have one of these I recommend getting a good rubber spark plug boot that doesn't require you to do that. They are cheap and simple to change out.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Briggs-Str...Plug-Boot-Clip-NEW-FREE-SHIPPING/150905696535

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I have only had one motorcycle that had both kickstand and center stand. And all the others had only kickstand. So no logic there:D

Also, I should say that I like dual brake levers, they give me a quicker stopping time. However, I completely understand how some people don't like them and prefer having greater independent control over each brake. Perhaps I shouldn't call it an "upgrade" but rather a "preference".

Back