Cheaper GEBE pulley supply

grinningremlin

Local time
6:18 PM
Found this looking for a better/cheaper supplier of the drive gears for the GEBE.GEBE charges $34 for each gear, which seems WAY too high to me.Granted, you'll have to do a little home machining, file some flats, and tap/thread the inner bore, but $12 sounds a lot better than $34.And GEBE states their gears are file hard, they lie, a cheap hacksaw goes through them like butter, but it's a quick way to get twice the life, cut off the end, flip the gear and use the cut off end as a locknut.
http://www.amazon.com/5M12X9-Ametric®-Timing-Diameter-Overall/dp/B00DHIW2RQ

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
There's a cheap Chinese knockoff of the GEBE kit out there, can't remember where I saw it. Parts must be out there too.

Livefastmotors has a GEBE clone kit coming, dunno when. Might also try whizzer parts, must be some knockoffs out there. I think whizzer is where I remember the idea of GEBE parts.

Got three 12 tooth pulleys from Ametric today, of course they're repackaged Chinese timing pulleys.Here's something neat, they look better built than GEBE's.Gebes are polished and these are dull metal, but all the edges are well chamfered.The flanges on the GEBE gears are always slightly mobile and the Ametric ones look like they were press fit.Have to do some threading and grinding, but I've got pulleys to spare.
I saw that livefast has a new belt-drive coming, if it's a cheaper option it's bye bye GEBE.

now if a #13 or #14 alternate source could be found. The #14 has been out of stock from GEBE for awhile. When I inquired via email, all I was told was that it would be available sometime in the spring.

How are the cops in Austin?I used to live austin/san marcos and am curious about riding while visiting.
Ametric should have 13-14 gears, I inquired about 11's but no reply.Cutting your own thread is hard work, but still worth it.

this is the 5th year i've been commuting by motorized bike and I've never had a problem with law enforcement. then again i keep it under 20 mph, wear a helmet, and run with head / tail lights. my daily commute is longer than most @ 28 miles daily, 6 days a week so i see / am seen by lots of cops daily.

this is the 5th year i've been commuting by motorized bike and I've never had a problem with law enforcement. then again i keep it under 20 mph, wear a helmet, and run with head / tail lights. my daily commute is longer than most @ 28 miles daily, 6 days a week so i see / am seen by lots of cops daily.

Good Point CPUAID, It is usually the kids doing something stupid like riding on the sidewalk, pulling out in front of cars, not using hand signals, unable to stop because of poor braking and SPEEDING that draws the attention of the cops or someone complaining to the cops.... Dan (ex-state trooper)

ok grinningremlin, i'm going to put you on the spot now. any details on how you were able to tap the 5/16-24 thread dead center down that bore? did you hand tap or use a drill? i've located a 5M14X9 and a 5M15X9 HTD timing pulley, also from Ametric, and need some guidance since they weren't that cheap and i don't want to muck them up. worst comes to worst i'll take it to a machine shop but prefer to do it on my own because i plan on experimenting with different gears/engines. i was not able to find anyone that has used a #15 gear for the GEBE and was wondering if it was even advisable. my plan is to mount my Mitsubishi TLE-43 or Tanaka PF-4000 with the #15 gear. comments anyone?

Back