Cheaper GEBE pulley supply

ok grinningremlin, i'm going to put you on the spot now. any details on how you were able to tap the 5/16-24 thread dead center down that bore? did you hand tap or use a drill? i've located a 5M14X9 and a 5M15X9 HTD timing pulley, also from Ametric, and need some guidance since they weren't that cheap and i don't want to muck them up. worst comes to worst i'll take it to a machine shop but prefer to do it on my own because i plan on experimenting with different gears/engines. i was not able to find anyone that has used a #15 gear for the GEBE and was wondering if it was even advisable. my plan is to mount my Mitsubishi TLE-43 or Tanaka PF-4000 with the #15 gear. comments anyone?
It wasn't easy.First had to grind flats so the vise would hold it.Then I started with some fine diamond coated dremel bits, worked up to some larger rougher diamond bits, finishing off with a regular metal bit, (all on a drill press) and opened it up enough for a hand tap.The hand tapping was my first attempt at anything this hard, and I could see the bit twist a little, but I got it through, finished with a little steel wool and the bit, it's ugly but it works.
It would be FAR easier to have a shop do the final tapping, or invest in a good bit set meant for this type boring.To sum up, it took a long time, a lot of work, and I can see why they're $32,.... but I'm still glad I can do it if needed.

GG, question. What diameter are the gebe sheaves? I need a pulley that closely matches my current ratio. The output gear and the final gear (excluding the clutch and input gear) come to 4.8:1, with the final drive being 12.44:1. Knowing the diameter of the gebe sheave will tell me what size pulley I need for the output gear to match the 4.8:1 (or closely match) of my current setup. I'm going to do a two-speed manual by controlling the belt tension with a spring-loaded tensioner and a clutch lever (locked position gives one tension while engaged position gives another, one will be hill climbing gear and the other will be cruising).

approx. 16" across from one side to the other. the way i measured was from the bottom of the sheave channel where the belt seats

grinningremlin thanks for the info. i knew it didn't look as easy as it sounds. i bit the bullet and ordered the 5M14X9 gear, $18.20 shipped. so far i have called around 2 machine shops locally and no one wanted to do it. i may have to trial and error it on my own.

Wonderful, now all I need is to know where to find a 3.5" v-belt pulley that can fit a 5/8 shaft.

Maybe not so wonderful. Is the gebe sheave for a toothed belt or a v-belt? Might need a Whizzer sheave instead.

Toothed belt, though I don't think it would matter much sheave-wise it would just slip a bit.Cpuaid, did you get it from Ametric? They state they can thread them, though they don't quote extra cost, and have yet to reply to my inquiry.

Cpuaid, a couple tips:
Use an old GEBE belt wrapped onto the gear (pliers or vise-grips) so you can do the initial flat grind, or anytime you are in danger of marring teeth.I don't know if you're metal shop savvy, so not to be condescending:
Oil drip for boring/drilling/tapping just need a little
Take it slow
Tapping technique, tapering the opening after boring and before tapping, go until bind is felt, back off until you feel the ribbons "crack" then a few more in.Clean out often.
It's almost impossible to get the hole crooked if you work up in size incrementally.

Far left untapped, middle hand ground/tapped, right GEBE pulley.No need for polishing, the system does it on the road.

Attachments

• pulleys.jpg
    pulleys.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 510
Last edited:
What I need is a clutch bell for a belt-drive. I can swap out my existing clutch bell for one with a belt pulley and put a 9 tooth gear on my crankshaft and a 22 tooth input gear, then swap my output gear for my belt-driven clutch. This should work perfectly and be very close to my current ratio.

Got it almost all figured out, just one last question. Can I file down the teeth on the gebe sheave to use a v-belt? I found a belt pulley clutch for 5/8 shaft and with a gebe sheave my cruising ratio would be 12:1 exactly, which is fine.

Back