Cheapest eBikes - Complete

Get one to see for yourself. When I went to the library 5 miles away I had to keep the throttle at half position and pedal lightly, otherwise I would have zero electric power sometime before getting back home.

Have you no understanding ... battery size determines range ... not the price of your eBike.

I've gotten 50 miles at 16mph from my homemade recycled 25.9V 31.2Ah battery pack...
Motor only ... no pedaling!

My batteries were only 10AH and I added another battery to the system for more speed which limited its range even more. The kit I had bought was a $400 one (24v 500W). So your batteries have 3 times the capacity that mine had. But still it all comes down to cost. Heavier duty batteries cost a lot more. I bought mine about 7 years ago. The same kits are like $200 more now. (example) Here's an example of battery prices: 36v 15AH lithium for around $450--> http://www.electric-bikekit.com

My batteries were only 10AH and I added another battery to the system for more speed which limited its range even more. The kit I had bought was a $400 one (24v 500W). So your batteries have 3 times the capacity that mine had. But still it all comes down to cost. Heavier duty batteries cost a lot more. I bought mine about 7 years ago. The same kits are like $200 more now. (example) Here's an example of battery prices: 36v 15AH lithium for around $450--> http://www.electric-bikekit.com
Sounds like you were running SLA batteries.
The 10Ah rating was when expended in 20 hours.
If expended in 1/2 hour, you probably got less than 5Ah usable out of them.
So my $30 homemade battery pack has more than 6 times the capacity that your batteries, had, when new!

let us know how your project goes and how much range you have with it. I really like e-bikes except for the range limitation and their lack of speed. But some of the more expensive 48v kits offer more speed.

FWIW I recognize DrkAngel from another forum. One that is dedicated to electric vehicles in particular.

I don't know if DrkAngel has any kind of connection with Currie, but I suspect not.
I don't think he's a shill.

He is, I can tell, someone who is very fond of this particular bike. And not without reason. He has done extensive research and tinkering with the mechanicals and electricals of this bike and publishes all sorts of info. This is a guy who documents the steps he takes along the way. He has published good photos and step by step descriptions of upgrades he's done to the drive wheel, for instance. And he has researched battery upgrades and, once again, published photos and steps involved.

We don't know each other and have no connection other than posting to some of the same threads. But I've been convinced for some time that his only motive is to help others take a vehicle that already delivers a pretty good bang-to-the-buck ratio and make it even better.

His hints and opinions are very well worth considering.

Ended! - $218.80 Schwinn Trike w/free shipping! USA only http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AYKIX4/ref=pe_139600_28228090_email_1p_0_lm

Just got an email about a great price on the Schwinn Meredian Adult Trike.
$200.55, shipping included!
Sale lasted about 8 hours, was lucky to spot it.
amazon.png

Add a front hub motor?
Or, as I intend, rig a Currie gear reduction motor to the drivetrain, add a controller and throttle , then hang a pair of 35Ah SLAs below the rear axle.

A long range mobility, cargo, transportation device for under $500!

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Cheapest e-bikes, I do know this. The $400 e-bikes from wally world are not worth the $. Read too much about folks having problems with the chargers and controllers, batteries, plus distance on those sucks.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back