(Chinese) 2-Stroke Ban, and Do We Care?

Do you care about the 2-stroke ban?

• Total voters
G

gone_fishin

lately we've had the opportunity to learn a bit more about how our engines get to us.

i'm interested in how the community at large feels about this.

2 stroke ban?

:censored: i did not know there was a 2 stroke ban! Is it the whole country or certain states? Is washington state one of them? Point me in the right direction for research...thanx

don grube said:
The only folks in the business who we might offend are those whom we report to EPA as smuggling 2 cycle engines in from China as service replacement unassembled parts and then assemble into complete engine kits now selling on Ebay. This is against the EPA law as of Jan 1 2006 to sell an uncertified emmission engine obtained after the Jan 06 deadline. Our position in China as China GAS export allows to know quite readily who is doing it. China GAS stopped exporting 2 cycle engine kits in Nov. 2005 and abides by US`law. There is little control of those in Canada who ship to the US in small qtys.

so, do we really care?

I voted not one tiny bit.

I bet most of the 2 strokes on this board pollute more than a Civic. Honda had a test engine that exhauted air cleaner than it was intaking in downtown Tokyo.. :D

I think the end users are OK at this point but the EPA is going to flex its considerable muscle on importers.
So do not worry augi or encourage the spread of FUD (fear, uncertainty, despair).

I did talk to Dennis of GEBE yesterday for about 30 minuets on his dime. He stated that the hammer was coming down on several of the suppliers of Chinese strokers because of the import practices.

Smoke and excess noise draw negative attention. :cool:

NOTE: Primarily Harley rides have replaced stock mufflers that had CATs with loud pipes w/o CATs. I hope those guys saved the stock exhaust systems because the EPA is shaking its swords at them too.

nope, not trying to spread fear or loathing, only taking the pulse of the community :)

my feelings about pollution, but ONLY my opinion: if you break down PPM (parts per million) to Parts per Person per Mile i think we got 'em all beat...

The poll didn't give the option that YES, I care and I hate to see them go. Contrary to other opinions, I doubt a small engine that gets 200mpg can pollute as much as a Civic getting 35mpg. I'm sure some pollutants may be higher from the small engine, such as unburned hydrocarbons, but I doubt it's that big a deal. In the grand scheme of things, it probably is time for these types of engines to go, but I hate not having alternative choices.

As for Hardleys and other M/Cs that come equipped with exhaust catalysts, there are no state emission inspections for motorcycles that I'm aware of. The closest one I have experience with is in New Jersey. They checked my lights and horn and I was on my way. Not to start a flame war, but I don't believe in government inspection of any private citizen for any reason. Call me crazy for believing in the US Constitution. :eek:

:LOL:

'zactly!

i think your opinion was what i was trying to accommodate with the "not really because i still pollute less" option. guess i coulda worded it better.

A new Civic will pollute less than a Chinese stroker...period!

<----<< a vg mechanic from early teens to sixty.

All motorcycles from 1978 on have the mufflers stamped that thay are not to be replaced with anything but stock componets. The police could hand out insection tickets here on PCH all day long. We have signs in downtown Long Beach stating that loud exhaust WILL BE ticketed. The lack of CAT makes it an easy bust!
So wave the stars 'n stripes all you want on the way to the court house. Hahahaha!

On topic: I really could careless one way or the other about strokers. The newer ones are uber-clean and quiet.

yeah, buddy! give me a good kit with a technically advanced stroker and i'd be good to go. better still, make a frame-mount 4-stroke with the good ole OHC look and i'd die happy for sure 8)

yup, i do wave my flag, but i try to for all the right reasons..."it's a free country" has become a fairly common copout for treating yer neighbors like s**t...

i always gladly do my part, it's not difficult. my motoredbike is the best choice in my case, so i really don't care that unca sammy doesn't like it :D

Living in a high density area vs a rural area with a low population are two different things. *wink*

Back