Chinese chain saw

Greg58

I have watched several chainsaw videos on YouTube of the super cheap saws made in China, curiosity got the best of me so I ordered one. The saw was listed as a 62cc for $76.95, after checking the bore and stroke it turned out to be a 52cc. I contacted the eBay vendor and told him what I found and recommended he correct his listing, he offered me a partial refund for my problem. $64.95 was the total. I am impressed, it runs good and cuts good, it has a 20" bar and chain and is a close copy of probably a 261 Stihl. It starts very easy even when hot. Has anyone else tried one?

Last edited:

Greg58

The seller responded fast, from the messages he/she sent me they had no idea it was not as advised, they probably just ordered a case lot. I must have been the first to bring this to their attention. There are several different color saws listed on eBay, from what I've read if it's listed as a 58cc, 62cc or 75cc all measure out to 52cc. They must use the same measuring technique with every two stroke.

Last edited:

Chainlube

If the listing has a picture like the one you posted, right on the side of the saw it says 5200, which usually means a 52 cc saw. My Husky 61 is 60.9 cc.

Do you have a link?

Greg58

The picture I took is the saw I received, the listing on eBay had a different picture and the add stated 62cc. I already have a bigger saw with a 20" bar so I'm thinking of changing this saw to a 16". I have a 14" for limbing so this would be a medium size saw.

Frogslayer

I ordered a 52cc China saw on purpose. I ported it and deleted the base gasket and dimpled the intake tracts and head and piston. Mirror polished the exhaust side and gutted the muffler but left the double exit tubes. I run a 22 inch bar on it and let me tell you the f***ing thing rips. I've cut down a couple massive 40 inch trees. Well i had to cut one 5 feet up because the base was too much for the bar. I have a lighter 32cc mexi mac for ground cutting but i looooove ripping the China saw. Back in the day i worked at 2 tree companies that ran pretty much all stihl. And I've ran 088 and 660 with big bars so i know the power you need. I shaved 100 thousandths off of the depth guides (rakers for you rednecks lol) on the China saw for faster cutting with the extra power. Only drawback is you can burn through a tank of gas twice as fast but you've probably cut twice the wood so maybe not a real drawback.

Greg58

I have a 1983 Poulan 3700 that I bought new, it has been a great saw. It’s a 61cc and has both auto and manual oiling. I have heard but can’t verify that husky bought the patent and is the basis of several of their saws. Looking at the 61 they are very similar.

Greg58

It’s hard to get a decent chain here on the weekends, I needed a chain a couple of years ago on a Saturday afternoon after all the saw dealers closed. I went to Lowe’s and found a #72 70 tooth but it was a safety chain, for those that don’t know the raker looks like a cutter turned around backwards, I took it home and used a die grinder and a carbine rasp to cut the rakers down as close to a regular chain as I could. My son is still using that chain on his saw.