Chinese engine makes wheel very difficult to turn

Stinkee2

Local time
11:59 AM
So I just bought an engine from BikeBerry.com, and never will again... There were missing pieces, pieces scattered about the box, there was a hole in the box, the thing that plugs onto the spark plug was shattered and doesn't want to grip the spark plug... This is the kit I bought: http://www.bikeberry.com/gas-engine-kits/mega-motors-silver-66cc-80cc-bicycle-engine-kit.html

But anyway, so I finally finished the installation and I haven't even filled it with gas yet. I noticed when putting the chain on that it was harder than it looked in the tutorial video on the disk. The kid in the video did it with his fingers, while I had to use a long rod for leverage to even budge the gear to get the chain to get through.. I thought it was strange but maybe it was just a little tighter for whatever reason. But now I have the whole thing assembled and I can hardly move the bike without the back tire either staying in place or moving only after the piston in the engine oscillates or whatever is happening in there. I hear air going in or out of somewhere on the engine right as the piston oscillates and the chain moves but I can't find where.

Does anybody know what could possibly be happening?

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the duplicate thread if you're the one who dealt with that.

Shortly after I posted this thread and started calming down and thinking rationally again I realized that I could just take off the connector and make a smaller out of something else.

As for the tire, I discovered it WAS the clutch as you said. However; my engine needed the clutch arm bar thing to be adjusted, so I had to take off one of the plates on the engine and mess around with some stuff until I was able to actually engage and disengage the motor. Before this point, no matter how much or how little I pulled the clutch it never disengaged.

Now those things have been dealt with pretty well I might say and I feel much more confident about the state of the bicycle and engine.

There's only two problems left: the carburetor leaks out of the back where the air comes through the air filter, and the engine won't start.

For the carburetor I get the feeling that I can figure that out as it's a fairly simple device, and I think in order to get the engine to start I should use the fuel to oil ratio that's actually suggested rather than some 50:1 that I found laying around for a chainsaw because I was excited to get it running and had no two stroke oil around.

Also, this isn't really a problem but I don't like it one bit. When I tighten the fuel valve onto the gas tank all the way it is facing inward and makes it literally impossible to attach the gas tank to my bike. I have to leave it slightly loose but it doesn't leak because of some teflon tape. Though I get the feeling it will start after an hour of riding.

And for people who read this who STILL might buy from BikeBerry.com, they also did not include the fuel filter which they said was included...

Shortly after I posted this thread and started calming down and thinking rationally again

Ahh, you must be new to this hobby/transport. Calming down and thinking rationally isn't part of the experience.

I can't say how many times i've thrown tools around the garage, trying to find and fix problems.
It's been quite a costly exercise because sometimes flying tools have accidentally hit the dog and some have accidentally hit my girlfriend as they ricocheted off the walls, when she rushed in to find out what had happened to the dog.

I can't think of the amount of times i've had to by my girlfriend outrageously expensive bunches of flowers for the injuries she sustained from flying tools.

This hobby isn't for the faint-hearted.

Luckily nobody was home for my flying hammer. I'm generally pretty calm and rational though, I was only starting to freak out because this motor was a lot of money to me being that I need to save all the money that I can to go to college.

Uh oh, I'm double posting. There's no obvious post edit button. Sorry about that.

I just wanted to let you know that I got the motor running! I guess I didn't wire the ignition coil properly, in the instructional video they sent they told me to ground the white wire from the motor. I disconnected that and taped it closed and now the motor runs and I have to get it adjusted for my usage.

Thank you!

EDIT:
Huh, that's strange. There's an edit button on this post, but not my last one.. Is it time related?

Uh oh, I'm double posting. There's no obvious post edit button. Sorry about that.

I just wanted to let you know that I got the motor running! I guess I didn't wire the ignition coil properly, in the instructional video they sent they told me to ground the white wire from the motor. I disconnected that and taped it closed and now the motor runs and I have to get it adjusted for my usage.

Thank you!

Well done. There's a lot of talk about what each of the wires do in the Lighting & Electrical section. My white wire is just terminated and not grounded. Also you can always check for spark by unscrewing the spark plug and touching it against the engine. Then get the engine to turn over by moving the bike along.

EDIT:
Huh, that's strange. There's an edit button on this post, but not my last one.. Is it time related?

You can edit your post up to 24hrs after it goes live.

Strangely, there was a spark even before I pulled the white wire off ground. It was weak though. I am curious to see if it's any stronger, but I don't really feel like taking the spark plug out because it's difficult to get back in because there's not much space between it and the top of the bike frame.

Yep that sounds about right according to this post http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?20980-can-anybody-tell-me-what-the-white-wire-is-for shorting the white wire to ground will kill the engine by reducing the output of the generator.

The white wire has a lower output from the generator and can be used for lights and charging batteries so long as the draw isn't so much that it kills the engine. There's a lot of discussion on this if you are interested in creating an electrical system for your motorized bike.

Back