Chinese Quality Fade

I

Irish John

I thought this recent attached article from Forbes Magazine about deliberate 'quality fade' policy from Chinese manufacturers might interest some people. Those who have had dealings with Chinese manufacturers will really know what they are referring to. So will those who install or own an HT motor. Every kit I get these days has at least one really serious flaw - yesterday it was a 415 chain that had links of varying lengths and could never run over any sprocket wheel. This article explains the slippery tricks that some suppliers resort to in order to cut every corner possible and to maximise their margins at the expense of qualty & even safety.
Irish John
http://www.forbes.com:80/2007/07/26...uality-ent-manage-cx_kw_0726whartonchina.html

&& to think how much money U.S. owes to China ! I think it is past time to start looking for another supplier, of everything, for us, that will be closer to the U.S., & more allied with us. How about this ! There is severe poverty & rampant unemployment on our Indian Reservations. Build our new factories near them, & keep the money in this country !

Great in theory but not practical. Labor is the primary cost driver in manufacturing.

In a recent article, some high paying factories are paying workers 160 dollars/month. Assuming a 40 hour work week (don't count on it, probably much higher) this is a buck/hour at best. Wages can be as low as 22 cents/hour.

Maybe your right about Indian

&& to think how much money U.S. owes to China ! I think it is past time to start looking for another supplier, of everything, for us, that will be closer to the U.S., & more allied with us. How about this ! There is severe poverty & rampant unemployment on our Indian Reservations. Build our new factories near them, & keep the money in this country !

I notice you mention Indian which made me think of India where wages are also very low but they make all sorts of mechanical things. I attach a picture of a Royal Enfield motorcycle - the old British classic "Bullet" still being made in Indian factories. They are well built but not fast. Unlike their British antecedents they don't seem to leak oil and they have better fuel economy.
It's a pity that western companies aren't investing the same amounts in India as in China. The end product would be better and the end result would probably produce a better outcome, cetainly for India which is a democracy.
On a recent visit to India I took another photo, also attached of an international motorcycle rally that happened to roar up at India Gate on the Rajpath in New Delhi while I was walking past. They gladly posed for the photo and roared off again.

Attachments

• Royal Enfield Bullet.jpg
    Royal Enfield Bullet.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 257
  • India Gate 18.jpg
    India Gate 18.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 246
Yep, I should have said Native Americans. Labor costs do drive the prices of everything up, but I believe most of teh time, you get wht you pay for. Goos examples right here on this forum. But, yes, India is on a economic roll. They can make great products, many are copies of old tech ideas. The Royal Enfield, [ they used to make it in a diesel version, too ] Lister diesel gensets, [ pretty good quality] etc., etc. BUT, I would rather owe India a lot of money, than China.

nothing new for those who've been watching closely

anyone who'd knowingly pass this "economic sabotage" onto his or her fellow americans is a traitor. notice how lately a "bushing" engine of a year ago is still running while new "bearing" engines are falling apart in months?

anyone who'd knowingly put a 12 year old on one of these time-bombs (that have been known to hit 30mph+ then sieze) is...well, the reader can fill in the blank. as soon as some child leaves half his head on the asphalt, even your legal & quality Golden Eagle will be outlawed.

"sorry about your son, but here's a replacement engine, because i'm all about the customer service."

your timing on posting this now is almost scary, it sooo fits the mood. the current campaign to cash in on the movement is going to destroy the movement. we all must take a new direction, "someone" here has been advocating the organizing of an american cottage-industry all along...how that's for economic stimulus?

"he" knows the whole world would buy a $400 "made in USA" HT, 48cc, 2hp, 30mph (WHIZZER, TAKE NOTE!!!)...this country has to actually produce something at home instead of just buying C R A P from CROOKS. people are saying "welcome to walmart" for ****-wages, "he" thinks people would gladly install seals or bearings all day on an american product for the same pay.

"he" will never again advocate the sale or installation of, or help fix, another
"chinese
(not so) super bicycle (and no longer) happy time" :devilish:

It's the market that drives the price

Great in theory but not practical. Labor is the primary cost driver in manufacturing.

In a recent article, some high paying factories are paying workers 160 dollars/month. Assuming a 40 hour work week (don't count on it, probably much higher) this is a buck/hour at best. Wages can be as low as 22 cents/hour.

There is a market for a decent copy of the HT engine made with care and precision. There is a market for such a kit at 3 times the current price but it's not being produced. People are prepared to buy quality gear in the bicycle fraternity - just look at the prices for some of the latest mountain bikes. I'd just love to see them being made somewhere other than China. You can't make good steel in a wood fired furnace!

I wouldn't compare motocyclists to regular cyclists. Regular cyclists will buy a new 2000-3000 dollar mountain bike each year because each new bike has new technology or weighs several ounces less. Motocyclists will buy an inferior engine kit on Ebay to save 50 bucks.

I'm surprised

Im surprised at the response to the article I posted on this thread. Meanwhile I'm going back to building my Honda 4-stroke for which I need help. To get the money I'm off to work - 55 km round trip down the freeway and I'm taking the new HT rig cos the nearly new rig is broken and the quite new rig is sounding like it will break anytime. The old (4 month old) engine is being mended if indeed the 2-stroke mechanic guy can mend it.
On the freeway I need to know I'm not going to have a rear wheel lock-up and that means I have to run a fleet of untrustworthy HTs. Some people's gardens are full of gnomes but mine is full of blown HT engines.
Lastly why is my carby causing the new engine to splutter at full throttle? Is it a carb problem and if so, how can I fix it?
Let's all go 4-stroke!

Back