chirping sound

B

Bertsimon

Motor makes a chirping sound at a low speed when hitting the gas. The head bolt was stripped so i got some jb weld and put that in the place to hold the bolt in. But now a chirping sound comes from the motor anyone know what that is all about. I know I saw it somewhere on here but i did the search and nothing came up. Any help would be great thanks guys.

It's possible you've got pressure escaping from a leaking head gasket. Check it close for signs of oil or exaust escaping around the head and the bottom of the cylinder. I've used JB Weld for almost everything under the sun but I'm not sure about using it in high temperatures, it might be giving way. Combustion temps near 750 degreed F. and the cylinder probably runs well over 200.

Did you use a torque wrench to retighten the head bolts?

You local auto parts or hardware stores might stock a thread repair kit (It's kinda' like a really hard steel spring) that you can put in the hole to repair the damage. It works by expanding when the bolt is screwed into it and actually holds better than the original threads if installed properly.

Threads can strip for several reasons:
1. Tightened too tight.
2. Not tightened enough causing the threads to wobble and wear until stripped.
3. Siezed threads are common with aluminum. I recommend you get an old style impact driver to loosen bolts screwed into aluminum and always coat bolts with antisieze. This is especially common with steel bolts in aluminum holes as the two metals tend to begin a process of electrical-chemical reactions not entirely unlike the effects of battery acid. The Antisieze compound will reduce the electro-chemical reactions.

Good luck.

Ok I just got done installing the thread repair. Looks like it will work really well, but when I took it all apart I had to bend the head gasket to get it off. Can I re use the orignal head gasket or is it a one time gasket seal?

maybe because the head gasket thingy has been answered a few times already and is searchable?

so long as you haven't damaged the head-gasket, it will last & last & last....

Back