choke closing

U

upgw

my choke is closing by itself, and then it shuts down the motor. every few seconds, i have to reach down and push the choke back down. i've never had this problem before. i have over 500 miles on this dax65. what could be the problem? vibration?

Maybe it's just loose on the pivot. Try bending the choke lever SLIGHTLY and see if that would hold. Pretty unusual though that the lever vibrates UP. But the choke itself is going down. If that doesn't work it's summer so maybe a rubber band for when it's warm out you rarely need the choke as it is.

I would say (manual choke) something holds the choke open -- spring ? or tension devise ? Maybe take a close look at it -- outside and inside -- what seems to be missing or loose that should be keeping it open ? Cheap fix -- NOT RECOMMENDED -- maybe while on the road ?? Wrap a rubber band around the base of the choke lever -- just to hold in place for now.. This should bring to me a whipping from those reading !!! Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Maybe it's just loose on the pivot. Try bending the choke lever SLIGHTLY and see if that would hold. Pretty unusual though that the lever vibrates UP. But the choke itself is going down. If that doesn't work it's summer so maybe a rubber band for when it's warm out you rarely need the choke as it is.

I agree with Large Filipino.
It would take an awful lot of vibration to pop up the choke. Your pivot Bolt must be very lose.
You could try taking the Air cleaner off and giving it a good looking over it may be a very easy fix.

bob

BlueCollarBike

yeah the choke lever is very loose. there's something wrong with it. i have a spare caburetor anyway. i'll just change the whole thing. maybe later i'll open it up and see what got loose inside.

Hi upgw, you should diagnose the problem and rectify it. Keep your spare as a spare.

Learn about how everything on your bike works, so you can fix any problem that arises.
Better still, prevent problems from happening. Dont be just a parts fitter because one day your not
going to have any spares and you'll be stuck.

Hope it works out for you.

Ozi

I had this same problem... take off your air filter cover and there is a nut that you can tighten that in return tightens the choke lever. I tightened mine up and it totally fixed the problem.

The ones that I have seen have a small screw and nut an usually the nut is "staked" in place. Once you tighten it up it wouldn't hurt to secure it from backing off again. Stake it, or put some locktight on it or something.

Pete

Back