Choke does nothing, can't find vacuum leak...

Status
Not open for further replies.
0nly thing you need to know is that choke doing nothing means it is getting air someplace else - fix that first.

That's part of the problem- I can't find the leak anywhere. I've replaced the intake manifold gasket and gooped absolutely everything up with high temp red RTV (yes I know it's not a long term solution) I'll be spraying everything down with WD40 later tonight but I have no idea where the leak could be.

When you start it, put your hand down around the head to see if you can feel any air shooting out around the head gasket to make sure it's sealed now.

I previously had a leak around the head but I fixed that by lapping the warped head and changing the gasket right before I made this thread

Oil seal? Look for fuel/oil in clutch or magneto cover..

I hadn't thought to check that, but I didn't notice anything when I adjusted the clutch last night, but then again I didn't think to look. I'll check once I get home

This isn't my first rodeo bub
For many it is their first rodeo bub, and a new member with 12 posts I thought you were one too.
Thats OK, I won't try to help you again as you seem to everything under control with your rodeo experience :rolleyes:.

Like the Monster said it's most likely the oil seal under the magnet. The leak should be fixed before any more riding. If you keep riding it like this you won't need to find it because if it's lean enough to be unadjustable it's not going to last much longer. BOOM. Then the only question will be which new engine to buy. Not trying to be a smart ass (well maybe a little) just trying to save you form pulling all of your hair out.:)

often the carb doesnt push all the way onto the manifold. air leak there. sometimes its better to just file the carb clamp back a few mm.

have you got the slide in correctly? the slot in its side lining up with the pin in the carb? my friend once removed that pin...not smart.

raise the needle a few notches...

possibility of crank seals leaking. usually under the magneto, as its the thin one. replace with a proper double lip seal, they just squeeze in. the spray of oil behind the magneto is a good indicator its leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back