Choke on the Right

FrizzleFried

Local time
3:17 AM
Oh why oh why do they put the choke on the right? I'd think it would be easier to manipulate if it was on the left... that way you could operate the damn throttle with ease while adjusting the choke. Putting that lever on the right is a pain in the arce!

I find myself using my left arm to manipulate the lever on the right while I operate the throttle. Not the easiest way to handle things...

;)

So far, I haven't needed to use the choke with my CDH iron sleeve PK80.
When I do use it, I'll pull the clutch in, coast, and use my right hand to hit the choke.
I've considered using a lawn mower throttle on the handlebar for the choke. Never went further than a thought.

My Phantom is a strange one. If I don't use the choke... it will start...eventually... after running "brrrrrrr" for about 50 feet or more. It's a pain in the ass. HOWEVER. If I put the choke on... it will fire RIGHT up... but will die almost immediately. Turn the choke off and it will then fire right up and down the road I go.

THAT SAID... it's getting colder here. When it's in the 50's or lower 60's. I am noticing when I go full off on the choke immediately like I did when it was warm... it's a bit of a dog for a while. If I hold the choke at about 30% ... that clears up...for a abit then I turn off the choke.

I suspect the colder it gets... the more choke I'll need to use until warm up.

My Phantom is a strange one. If I don't use the choke... it will start...eventually... after running "brrrrrrr" for about 50 feet or more. It's a pain in the ass. HOWEVER. If I put the choke on... it will fire RIGHT up... but will die almost immediately. Turn the choke off and it will then fire right up and down the road I go.

THAT SAID... it's getting colder here. When it's in the 50's or lower 60's. I am noticing when I go full off on the choke immediately like I did when it was warm... it's a bit of a dog for a while. If I hold the choke at about 30% ... that clears up...for a abit then I turn off the choke.

I suspect the colder it gets... the more choke I'll need to use until warm up.
How does you plug look? You sound like you are a bit lean at idle or just off idle. With the choke you are too rich. In my experience you shouldn't really need the choke until the temps dip below 60 degrees. Or very little choke that needs turned off almost immediately.

My one big complaint about the Bofeng and NT carbs is the lack of adjustability at idle. A mixture screw wouldn't have been too much to ask for.

Back