Chose the Schwinn Point Beach over Kaluna Moon Dog

M

motoschwinn

Well after several trips to Wally World, I decided to buy the Schwinn Point Beach over the Kaluna Moon Dog. For several reasons, the build on the Schwinn just looked much much better. I liked the white walls on the moon dog, but blackwalls made much more sense. Anyone made the install on the point beach? Any hints or heads up I might need?

I have a Jaguar from Target (same frame)
install went easy, I drilled the front, have over 2000 miles on bike, 3rd engine, no probs ever with front mount or frame
I am finally getting my post together about the Jag (I was waiting to do some stuff before posting)
I have done many upgrades, but I do a lot of hard trailer pulling and stuff that is hard on the bike

i have the jag to 7k later its now in the hands of a new mbc rider with a new motor and kicking strong have built 5 poit beach bikes good but they lie saying it is a aluminum frame

You Made a good choice. I have built both models and for an extra $50 or so You got a much better bike. The Schwinn Point Beach Was an easier install and has ben a trouble free ride for me. 3 important things:
1) You will have to dril the front post and manufacture a motor mount. This will give you the opportunity to buffer the engine vibration somewhat. I did so by building a stack of flat washers and small segments of excess fuel line alternately.
2) The rear hub does not actually support the rear sprocket. Don't be deterred. Just center it visually and tighten the bolts in a star pattern while keeping it centered.
3) Double check the Wal-Mart assemblers. They do shoddy work. It's unlikely your bike will come road ready. Adjust your brakes and check every nut bolt and fastener to see that they are not too tight or too loose.

Last edited:
Well after several trips to Wally World, I decided to buy the Schwinn Point Beach over the Kaluna Moon Dog. For several reasons, the build on the Schwinn just looked much much better. I liked the white walls on the moon dog, but blackwalls made much more sense. Anyone made the install on the point beach? Any hints or heads up I might need?

The point beach is a nice bike... I have the moon dog mainly because I'm po. I've heard nothing but good things about the point beach so you should have a happy time putting things together. Good luck on the install. I get to install mine starting the middle of next week. The engine kit is in transit now. Make pictures and post them along the way of the install so everyone can share in your victory.

I hate the drilling part

install went easy, I drilled the front, have over 2000 miles on bike, 3rd engine, no probs ever with front mount or frame
I am finally getting my post together about the Jag (I was waiting to do some stuff before posting)
I have done many upgrades, but I do a lot of hard trailer pulling and stuff that is hard on the bike

I think I'll get one of the kits for the larger tube. I'm transferring the motor from my old Schwinn Suburban (2600+ miles) to this bike. Chaos do you have the large tube kit you could get out to me quick? The motor I have is a Kings 80cc.

Brad

I'll assemble it myself.

You Made a good choice. I have built both models and for an extra $50 or so You got a much better bike. The Schwinn Point Beach Was an easier install and has ben a trouble free ride for me. 3 important things:
1) You will have to dril the front post and manufacture a motor mount. This will give you the opportunity to buffer the engine vibration somewhat. I did so by building a stack of flat washers and small segments of excess fuel line alternately.
2) The rear hub does not actually support the rear sprocket. Don't be deterred. Just center it visually and tighten the bolts in a star pattern while keeping it centered.
3) Double check the Wal-Mart assemblers. They do shoddy work. It's unlikely your bike will come road ready. Adjust your brakes and check every nut bolt and fastener to see that they are not too tight or too loose.

I think I will get one in the box and go from there. That way I don't have to back track to fix problems. Did you find no other way for the front mount? I hate the idea of drilling that tube.

um new upgraded kits come with a bigger front mount and i know because i never drill a frame or the best thing to do is take the chain guard off and get a vice to clamp the frame trust me it works just check and eye ball it very good and you will need to put a protector on the frame to not scruff the paint later

No time for pics

The point beach is a nice bike... I have the moon dog mainly because I'm po. I've heard nothing but good things about the point beach so you should have a happy time putting things together. Good luck on the install. I get to install mine starting the middle of next week. The engine kit is in transit now. Make pictures and post them along the way of the install so everyone can share in your victory.

The Moon Dog makes a MUCH more striking bike. Lot's of custom places you could go. I loved the orange and black, but this build is my long range answer to the fuel crisis. So I opted for a bit of a better build. And you don't know how hard it was to pass up those wide whites!

Can't do the photo session, once I get into it.... I want to get it going so I can ride. The old Suburban was just taking such a beating, and me too for that fact... She is 36 years old and I'm 50... So one of us is getting retired!

So here's the old Suburban, say good bye... She's done nearly 2700 miles with my trouble-free Kings motor...

Attachments

• motoschwinn.JPG
    motoschwinn.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 548
Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry to derail this thread.

Are you saying it took 3 engines to go 2000 miles.

I may have a rude awakining comming. LOL

A

Back