Christmas Ripoff

79_Bicycle_Motor_Photos_2_015_1.jpg

79_Bicycle_Motor_Photos_2_009_1.jpg
Hello Group:

This Christmas will not be quite as bright as I thought it might have been. Most of you can probably remember when a member of this board offered to sell a complete thatsdax kit with free shipping for $180. Well I was the fool to buy it sight unseen for a Christmas present for my son. After the kit was shipped, the individual who sold it to me sent me a PayPal form stating I owed money for shipping due to the fact it was heavy and was been shipped a long distance. Obviously I didn't fall for the scam. I promptly replied via email that he could keep the kit, send me my money, and try to pull this stunt on someone else since none of this was agreed upon by me nor stated in his advertisement.

I finally received the package thirteen days from when it was shipped via USPS. Upon receiving the box, I found it was not in the original box but all the parts were thrown into a box and a big piece of brown paper stuffed on top. The tank was dented and upon first glance I found the spark plug was broken off and the other piece was not in box. Removing all the mixed up scared up parts that had rubbed together I found that numerous pieces were missing. I immediately took pictures while three of my neighbors (witnesses) looked on in amazement. The following is a list of what I found missing:
2 motor clamps
rear motor mount extension (spacer)
spark plug
chain guard
sprocket puller
spark plug wrench
coil mounting bracket
one locknut for wheel sprocket
carb parts - slide, needle, washer, screw on top, and adjuster
muffler hanger
master link
chain (the one he sent was cut into three pieces

After numerous emails the seller called me a liar and said the kit was 100% complete. Just for my personal satisfaction, I would like for all of you to look at the pictures I took upon receiving the kit and tell me if you can see the missing pieces he supposedly sent. I gave the seller over two weeks to send me $30.00 dollars so I could complete the kit or better yet, send the missing parts no questions asked. To add fuel to the fire, I could tell that the rear sprocket cushions had both been cut and the sprocket had been previously installed on another bike. This is not my definition of being new.

The saddest part of this story is that tomorrow I will be giving my son a kit that we can't assemble on Christmas day. I can imagine how he will feel on Christmas day.

I am sure I will never get the $30.00 dollars or the missing parts, but I hope all of you will learn from my experience. A bargain is not a bargain when it sold on the false pretense of being complete and 100% new. I promised the seller that I would post this story for the Forum to read if he didn't complete the transaction as advertised. At least I kept my word!

Last edited by a moderator:
What a F#*@ing grinch!!! way to ruin christmas!!!! what was that guys username? That really pisses me off.

I am totally sorry that it happened, I know the feeling all too well also.

Ok so i just looked at the buy/sell/trade section and the guy that sold it to you was the same guy that requested that I delete his username from the boards... I asked him why he wanted me to remove his username and he said that it was because he sold his motorized bike to his neighbor and was just done with the board. What a shady piece of crap. I saw the dent in the picture. his SN on AIM is:

"highonlife613"

It makes sense why he wanted his name to be removed from the forum. He new I would post this saga with pictures as I promised.

The only thing that makes me feel a little better is that I didn't fall for his little shipping scheme. He kept telling me in emails that I could fix the chain with a chain breaker tool. I am not so sure there was ever two motors to begin with as the add stated. Maybe he tried to mount the motor, screwed it up, then passed it off as new minus the parts he lost or butchered.

The motor looks to be new, but the chain, sprocket, and sproket mounting kit look used or messed with. There were no nuts, washers, or lock washers included to mount anything even if the missing items were included.

I am going to try and take the missing parts off of my bike and maybe be able to pass them off in the kit to my son. That is about the only option I have for now.

yeah, he said he bought this kit to attach to a second bike to sell and make money... but he claimed to "not have enough time" he probably actually coudnt get it mounted right. He seemed like some stupid jerk anyway.

yup, the "highonlife" guy i was asking you about, tom...now all is clear.

Dr. J., that is so sorry a saga, i personally feel for ya...if i had any extras of the missing parts, i'd help you and junior out.

wasn't that item listed on ebay? i'm sure they'd be interested in your story, also.

I have learned from this mess to deal with legitimate dealers. Ironic as it may seem, I bought three 70cc from thatsdacs two weeks earlier for family members for Christmas presents. The temptation to save a few bucks got the best of me. Pretty dumb of me considering it was for my son. Duane at thatsdacs is an honest dealer and one of the very few we have left. Most dealers went packing with the ban, but Duane rode out the storm. As I think back, I have bought motors from Grubee, Bill Wessels, Zopu0, Martin (Canada), Kings, and thatsdacs. Duane and Mark Malpica (Kings) are two of the very few full service dealers still standing that I have dealt with. Please try to support the dealers that have gone beyond the profit margin and are truly trying to keep our sport alive.

Above all, remember the reason for this glorious season. As I slide down the banister of life, I will remember this as a very small splinter! :>)

Dr. J.

Dr J, it's so nice to see you recognize the good in this. We can't always control the circumstances that life puts us in but the way we deal with it is what defines our character. You've set a good example for your son to follow when he has to deal with disappointments.

Have a Merry Christmas in spite of the grinches of the world :D

sorry to see you get ripped off

i found a couple of broken parts in kits i brought in 2004 from king motors via ebay.nothing as bad as yours though.i was also ripped of the same year by a private seller in texas who just took my money and a few others and ran.i made a mistake thinking i would be protected by paying through paypal.always be careful and make shure you are fully protected against fraud,bad dealers befor buying.it pays off being cautious.
hope you manage to make something good out of the mess.

hay guys do we have any extra parts we can send Dr. J ??? J send me your address I might have some parts I can send you all I need is shipping after Xmas is tight.

Cookie

Back