Chug-a-lug

WesternFlyer

Local time
7:30 AM
I have a new build (first build and no mechanical experience), less than 30 minutes and I’m getting the full-on chug at low speeds. I’m going to play with adjusting the carburetor, but I have a bigger concern with my motor mount points. In the back, to close gap, (because it isn’t a V frame), I used a motorcycle mount. It’s 1 1/2 inch mount but the down tube is only 1 inch. So I used a plumbing fernco to fill the gap. Feels tight and the motor doesn’t move.

On the front, it’s also a 1 inch bike tube but the motor was made for a 44 mm tube. As of yet I haven’t filled the gap.

What I’m reading here in threads is that motors are best to be mounted metal on metal? So I’m thinking I’ll make a metal bracket to fill the gap and take suggestions for replacing the motorcycle mount with something that doesn’t require me to use rubber to fill gaps.

Any suggestions from experienced people, (as I am not one of those people)?

0126C733-CFB7-4585-871E-B306F5E90E28.jpeg
D98EF4C6-54FE-49EB-BF72-916904AE4145.jpeg
55F6DD49-8EF7-4EA1-BC85-6FE3A1501798.jpeg

Also, it probably worth mentioning that the motor is equipped with 4 x 6mm mount bolts in front and back.

And when I said less than 30 minutes. I meant less than 30 minutes of riding on it.

I’m getting the full-on chug at low speeds
I think i might know what may be causing this.

When i took a screen shot of your last pic, i was able to rotate it to look at the angle of the engine.

You want the engine situated in such a way so that the carbie is as level as possible...too far of a lean to the cylinder it will flood out.

Too far backward it gasps for gas.

See about leveling it out as best as possible playing one mount against the other until level...DAMIEN

This happens with gravity fed carbies.

I think i might know what may be causing this.

When i took a screen shot of your last pic, i was able to rotate it to look at the angle of the engine.

You want the engine situated in such a way so that the carbie is as level as possible...too far of a lean to the cylinder it will flood out.

Too far backward it gasps for gas.

See about leveling it out as best as possible playing one mount against the other until level...DAMIEN

This happens with gravity fed carbies.
Thanks, that’s great advice! I did know/assume it should be level but didn’t realize the affect it could have if not level. I’d say I’m about at a 10 degree angle with the front end too low.

Also at open throttle it’s smooth and peppy. It low speed, high torque (as a car or commercial motorcycle would do if in a gear too high for the speed.

Here is a slightly better angle of the mount angle. I kind of positioned it to fill the space in the center as opposed to considering the mechanical impact.
C9D0FF6F-ECE2-4E8B-93B2-31C27B2998C2.jpeg

Thank you. I’ll follow up with you to let you know the results.
As a secondary improvement, by leveling the carburetor, I’ll have the piston moving more perpendicular to the ground too, will that also help or is this all about carb performance and fuel?

Shouldn't the mount ya have in the rear be in the front? That will change the angle of things
I've always heard to mount the motor as far back as ya can.
Thank you. So that might be the perfect way to accomplish what Damien suggested.

How about the rubber for filling the Keep it or use metal to fill the gap? Either of you have experience with that?

Maybe should be a new question but I’ll pose it as a follow up. Is there real benefit in the high performance carb and exhaust or is that just hype unless you really know how to tune things.

Back