Circular saw powered bike?!?!?

Ordinary.Squid.

Local time
1:44 AM
Ok, so i have this weird and crazy idea for a circular saw powered bike. Its mostly inspired by this vid i saw on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4UjiER8Owg

But anyway, i was thinking of using an 18v cordless circular saw, taking off the blade, then mounting a sprocket where the blade once went. in reality i have no idea if the cordless circular saw will have enough power to move the bike, even with the proper gear ratio. The saw i have is 12 amps, 120 watts, and spins at about 3600 rpm. Think it could ever power a bike?

Also, i have the idea of using an angle grinder or something similiar to one to power the bike. They spin at about 11,000 rpm and are about 7.5amps. so i figure it might be an alternative to the circular saw

We'll tell me what u think, if it has no chance of working just say so, or if u have any other comments feel free. Thanks in advance!

12amps 120watts wont get you going much faster than a fast walk, any sign of hills in the distance it might actually stop...start beeping...then reverse away from the hill...Legal limit for electric motors in countries other than USA are stuck with 200watt limit...i have seen very few people on the 4 bicycle releated sites im a member on that actually adhere to the legal limit WHY? 200watt is next to useless...If you go ahead with it you will have to get the gearing spot on.

KiM

p.s want a cheap build visit TNC scooters get yourself motored up with throttle and controller for under 200 bucks...

Last edited:
If you want the "basics" just go to TNCScooters:

http://tncscooters.com/partsdb.php?type=ES

(though they are looking low on inventory)

I've been exploring other options on this forum and nothing so far has popped out that significantly excites me to action, though the Switched Reluctance is interesting.

But I'm going to continue to learn and search.

---------------------------

When all else fails there's throwing $$$ at the problem:

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/MAG-S28-150.html

(probably the best built motor available today in the brushed DC world)

$299 :sick:

Last edited:
What about

A corded saw with a power inverter !!!!!!
And electronic speed controler......

---------------------------

When all else fails there's throwing $$$ at the problem:

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/MAG-S28-150.html

(probably the best built motor available today in the brushed DC world)

$299 :sick:

And according to my email correspondance with Robot market place
entirely too small for Ebike use... I was recommende the S28-400
Might want to actaully check the manufacturewrs website that i linked you too for MagMotors NOZT the reseller too safe..Non of the motors will run at 48 volts and like it according to Robotmarket place...36 volts is tops for the S28-400. Also...What controller you intend using on these motors safe? Your TNC Scooter controller wont work.

I'm probably going to give my "hacked" copper brushed DC motor a try eventually. Once that blows up then I'm not sure what next.

I'm kind of leaning towards these Switched Reluctance motors because they are cheap and they are something that I've dreamed about doing for a few years now.

In the long run I'm fully committed to this ideal of 1000 watts input and no more... but for the old bike I would allow the power levels to be a little higher.

Why dont you just go and buy a motor that works straight out of the box one you wont have to grizzle about working out gear reductions ....Safe...1000watt Cyclone would slot straight into your bike no gear reduction required no brush / armature issues then you could find something else to pull apart an "improve" I think you have done the brushed re-wind thing to death and i would place money on your copper ghetto contraption working better as a ladies vibrator than a e-bike motor, just looking at the pics you can see its that out of balance with the odd placement of the bolts in the fibreglass HAHA not too mention the glass will suffer from the eat terribly, seen fibreglass burn safe? Man it goes up quick!

KiM

EDIT: FYI Safe...my My1020 using FrankGs armature is BRILLIANT ****s on stock wind and i am yet to get it even remotely warm.. lays a 10 foot burnout at twist of throttle hehehe not that i will be doing that often at the price of my 20x4.25 rear tires LoL Still havent pulled motre than 120amps with it either cruises beautifully under 30amp up the hills here. That all said, i have sketched designs for the next build..includes full independent rear suspension both rear wheel drive powered by 7000watt Outrunner...will weigh well under 50kilo and be wheelstand capable, even worked out a simply way to steer the trike when its on the rear wheels Dual cabled brake levers FTW hehehe...

Last edited:
Ok, so i have this weird and crazy idea for a circular saw powered bike. Its mostly inspired by this vid i saw on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4UjiER8Owg

But anyway, i was thinking of using an 18v cordless circular saw, taking off the blade, then mounting a sprocket where the blade once went. in reality i have no idea if the cordless circular saw will have enough power to move the bike, even with the proper gear ratio. The saw i have is 12 amps, 120 watts, and spins at about 3600 rpm. Think it could ever power a bike?

Also, i have the idea of using an angle grinder or something similiar to one to power the bike. They spin at about 11,000 rpm and are about 7.5amps. so i figure it might be an alternative to the circular saw

We'll tell me what u think, if it has no chance of working just say so, or if u have any other comments feel free. Thanks in advance!

I'm guessing that most AC circular saws use a series motor. Series motors can run on AC or DC. String together a bunch of C-cells to make a high voltage battery pack. A controller might be a little pricey or you could make a simple 2 speed controller from three relays. Or just use a single speed switch and only engage it once you are pedaling at a good speed. It might have enough power on 60 or 72 volts to use on a bicycle. Try it. Hook the motor to a 24v-48v battery pack and see how it runs. I'll warn you not to use the switch on the motor. Tape it in the on position or bypass it. Some very old power tools had DC rated switches but the new one will burn up the switch from arcing when using DC. A circular saw may not be very efficient but it would make an interesting bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so i have this weird and crazy idea for a circular saw powered bike. Its mostly inspired by this vid i saw on youtube:

Do it. I made an electric scooter with an 18v circular saw and it went about 55kms an hour

Back