City Bus Problems?

Freddy Snottgrass

Local time
7:05 AM
So last week I decided to go on a trek but thought taking the bus to the edge of the city and starting out in the foothills would be a good idea. So I rode to the main bus station. The security guard and the bus driver both struck up a conversation with me about my bike before departure and didn't say anything negative about it. I loaded it in the front of the bus, boarded and paid my dollar fare. Right before departure a guy in dress clothes comes out of the building and asks whose bike that is. I approach him and he asks me to step off the bus. I obliged when he told me the bike can't be on the bus because of a fire hazard. told him okay, cool, lemme get my dollar back when he says 'sorry no refunds'. I state my case, he said sorry, walked behind his glass and ignored me. After 5 minutes of waiting I gave up and went on my way.

Have any of you used public transportation with your bikes? If so what was your experience?

So last week I decided to go on a trek but thought taking the bus to the edge of the city and starting out in the foothills would be a good idea. So I rode to the main bus station. The security guard and the bus driver both struck up a conversation with me about my bike before departure and didn't say anything negative about it. I loaded it in the front of the bus, boarded and paid my dollar fare. Right before departure a guy in dress clothes comes out of the building and asks whose bike that is. I approach him and he asks me to step off the bus. I obliged when he told me the bike can't be on the bus because of a fire hazard. told him okay, cool, lemme get my dollar back when he says 'sorry no refunds'. I state my case, he said sorry, walked behind his glass and ignored me. After 5 minutes of waiting I gave up and went on my way.

Have any of you used public transportation with your bikes? If so what was your experience?
i brought my bike on the train with a miter saw and a trailer. It closed off 1/2 the train and it was hard for people to get through. But that bike didnt have an engine though. I didnt get kicked off.

Yeah, I tried putting my first build on the front bike rack of a transit bus once, driver said "nowaykthxbai". I just wanted to bypass 8 miles of crap roads. Also contacted Amtrak because I wanted to travel with my bike. No dice there, either. As Gary said, liability issues prevent these carriers from allowing you to transport your gas-powered bike. Some may even have a problem with electric bikes, if they're decked out with enough doodads and whatnot.

A couple of drivers will let me put the bike on the front. Pretty friendly with most of them. One driver let me bring it on the bus because the rack was full. Most tell me no.

Have any of you used public transportatihereon with your bikes? If so what was your experience?
Here in Co springs they well have a s**t fit for thinking you can put anything with gas on the bus. They want dump all their frustrations out on you pin you to the ground beat the s**t out of you.
Taking bus totally out of the question got to be the same in all other states.

That is a federal law that covers public bus transportation. If the city gets caught, the entire bus system can be shut down.

Bus drivers usually do not allow e-bikes either. Even with SLA batteries.

Last edited:
Wasn't sure on ebikes.
Fun to take a sack of beer cans on the bus if you get a chance to have a cop follow you just drop a can out the window then & again they'll arrest the driver for drunken driving.

Back