Clacking noise, now it won't run.

You have to make sure the ring pin (see any of the above pictures) lands in the middle of the ring gap.

The rings are spring loaded so that when they are inside of the jug they put outward force on the jug. That's why they seem 'loose'. You need to compress them a bit with your finger , keeping the pin in the middle of the ring gap, to get them into the jug. It can be a bit tricky. You'll never get it wearing thick a** gloves like that.

You have to make sure the ring pin (see any of the above pictures) lands in the middle of the ring gap.

The rings are spring loaded so that when they are inside of the jug they put outward force on the jug. That's why they seem 'loose'. You need to compress them a bit with your finger , keeping the pin in the middle of the ring gap, to get them into the jug. It can be a bit tricky. You'll never get it wearing thick a** gloves like that.
Yuppers, you can't be afraid to get your hands dirty. Good old fashioned dish soap gets it all off anyway.

This is the bottom edge of a GT5 cylinder, but they're all the same. See how it's beveled to help ease it over the rings.

Attachments

• 20220721_112105.jpg
    20220721_112105.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 87
I broke the piston rings. Aside from the clacking I've had nothing but problems with the 80cc. I wish these had brand names or something so I can avoid it. It was the black one, it leaks gas from the middle of the engine, petcock is bad, stud is stripped.

The seller told me to keep it and he will give me an $80 refund (I paid $106) or he can send me a used engine kit. With the $80 I'm figuring if I want pay the remainder and get another 80cc kit so I have all the extra accessories, or for the $80 I can get just the engine, or I can get a 50cc kit.

I heard 50cc has less problems long term in comparison to 80cc, probably has to do with how well you take care of it.

I broke the piston rings. Aside from the clacking I've had nothing but problems with the 80cc. I wish these had brand names or something so I can avoid it. It was the black one, it leaks gas from the middle of the engine, petcock is bad, stud is stripped.

The seller told me to keep it and he will give me an $80 refund (I paid $106) or he can send me a used engine kit. With the $80 I'm figuring if I want pay the remainder and get another 80cc kit so I have all the extra accessories, or for the $80 I can get just the engine, or I can get a 50cc kit.

I heard 50cc has less problems long term in comparison to 80cc, probably has to do with how well you take care of it.
You're gonna go through a few engines. I have had 6 over the past few years. Some only run a short time, others are diamonds. These little engines are hit and miss. That one I linked is only $110 for the full kit. All you gotta do is swap out the engine and you'll have a bunch of extra parts for when things go wrong in the future.

One thing about these bikes is that they demand your attention. Out of 6 engines, I have ran 5 (one is waiting for the perfect bike). 2 of them were wonderful (one being the one I link earlier), two were garbage out of the box, and one was good as long as I kept up on it (my first kit).

Dude... I am gonna hand it to you, Emcee Hammer. For you, no offense, to not know anything about these things and dig into it like you are? That is bada** and I gotta tip my hat to you.

I agree. I give Emcee credit for at least trying and (mostly) listening to our advice... there's too many people that have come through here "MY ENGINE STOPPED WORKING WHAT'S THE PROBLEM" and then they never show up again or even attempt to do anything we recommend. And I haven't even been here very long.

Seriously thought if you broke a ring just buy a pair of new rings and give it another shot, they're not expensive. No reason to scrap the whole engine.

Or could you buy some piston rings for like $2.....
It's beyond the piston rings, the clacking noise, the engine is leaking. My petcock leaks, my carb leaks, I would rather walk away while I can. I have made this mistake way to many times working with cars. I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I thought I was saving money by buying tools and parts and in the end I would of been better off getting something new.

Back