Clamptite tool makes hose clamps from stainless wire

jefuchs

Local time
12:25 AM
I just had to deal with a leaking hose on my bike, and I took some cheap wire and twisted it tightly and called it done. A better solution is this tool that an old sailing friend showed me. He sometimes lives aboard his boat, and he frequently helps other boaters, and he has stopped using standard hose clamps in favor of this tool. He said he could probably improvise the tool himself, but he bought one, for convenience, and to have printed instructions handy.

The advantages are that you only need a roll of wire to make clamps. You don't need specific clamps for different size hoses, and the wire looks nicer than bulky clamps. Plus, you never re-use a clamp. New clamp every time.

I searched here and found no mention of clamptite, so I thought some of you might be interested. As I said, you can improvise with whatever tools you have, so it's good information to have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAKaBVl_9o0

I received the budget model of that as a gift. It is constructed of stainless steel and aluminum instead of all stainless steel.
It works really good if you have enough room to operate it. That is the only issue I have with it. In small confined spaces it will not work. The clamps it makes never loosen up. it really is an excellent tool.

Last edited:
Update:

After posting this, I have spent some time thinking about how to do this with my existing tools. Looking back at my previous effort to simply twist the wire around the hose, I now see how inadequate that was. I jiggled the hose, and it was not tight at all.

So I copied the Clamptite method by using a screwdriver and a pair of channel locks. I held the screwdriver against the loop part of the wire, then pulled the long end of the wires with the channel locks, leveraging against the shaft of the screwdriver, which made a significantly tighter clamp.

This is adequate for occasional light use, but not nearly as effective as the Clamptite. I don't think my method would work on pressurized hoses.

Yes, I could have done a little nicer job than this, but it's really tight, so I'm happy.

hHZ9e6O.jpg

Here's another way to use wire as a clamp. It is similar in operation as the Clamptite tool but you only need a pair of pliers or wire cutters. It works in nearly 0 access too.

1.) Wrap the wire completely around the hose once, not just in a half wrap or U shape.
2.) Using the pliers or wire cutters if you are skilled with them, twist the loose ends of the wire tight. This tightens the wire wrap around the hose like a noose.
Be careful though, if you get it too tight a small diameter wire can cut into the hose. Yes, you can get this method that frigging tight.
3.) Cut off the excess wire and bend the sharp ends towards the hose so they won't snag on anything.

Gearnut, that's what I tried the first time, but it wasn't nearly as tight. BUT, I was using galvanized steel wire, and I twisted until the ends snapped, leaving what looked like a good clamp with three twists in place -- about where I would have trimmed it anyway.

It's possible that I could have gotten a stronger clamp from stronger wire, like stainless, if I would have been able to twist tighter and not have it break. The advantage of the loop is that it gives you something to leverage against, for a tighter fit.

I have one of these tools and absolutely love it.

For larger clamps (such as garden hose ends) I usually make a second turn for a total of 4 clamping strands. After I finish the clamp and trim off the wire ends, I lightly peen the sharp tips into the rubber so that they won't snag anything.

I really like these for permanent clamps. Unlike gear clamps, there is no projecting hardware to catch on things. Also - believe it or not - you can make this clamp much tighter than you can tighten a gear clamp.

By the way GearNut,
There is simply no way that you can draw a wire tight by just twisting the ends around each other as you describe. The twisted area will twist up tight and break off long before you have put significant clamping force around the hose you are trying to clamp. For helping to hold a rubber hose over a barbed end that method will probably do fine, but it will not clamp nearly as strongly as a gear clamp will.

A couple more comments:

That Youtube video is using some VERY soft wire - much softer than annealed .041" stainless steel safety wire that I usually use for most clamps. It makes it look much easier than it actually is.

I have the "cheap" version of this tool too. Although not as elegant looking, it is adequate for the half dozen or so clamps I make a year.

Lastly, making these clamps does take a bit of time - especially if you wind a second turn for 4 strands total. I've done quite a few and I would guess they easily takes me a good 5 minutes each to make. If you have a gear clamp on hand and it will do, it is a much faster solution.

To me the major drawbacks of these clamps are the time they take to make, that you need a fair bit of clearance around the clamping area to make them, and that you cannot adjust the clamping pressure after you have finished the clamp.

Last edited:
Back