Classic Cruzer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my latest, built for my neighbor and finished today. It's based on an Electra Classic beach cruiser, which came to me with a bent-tubing springer fork and worn-out steering head bearings.

Lots of detailing and machine work went into to making it a reliable runner. The rear sprocket was lathe-cut to fit and bolted directly to the flange of the 7-speed Shimano coaster hub. The idler pulley bracket from gasbike.net is really solid and highly recommended.

The last tricky step was modifying a RST fork to fit the skinny head tube of this cheap frame. I cut the stock 1-1/8 tube off the fork, then turned a 1" steering tube to press-fit the ID of the remaining stub (inside the fork casting). For safety, I set up about .002" interference fit and drove in the new tube with a brass mallet. Then for extra security I cross-drilled it at the back of the fork bridge and put in a 1/8 inch stainless pin. So far so good, and it's nice to have a real brake!

Attachments

• EC_left.jpg
    EC_left.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 522
  • EC_right.jpg
    EC_right.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 243
  • EC_drive.jpg
    EC_drive.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 246
  • EC_motor.jpg
    EC_motor.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 227
  • EC_fork.jpg
    EC_fork.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 243
  • EC_point.jpg
    EC_point.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
I painted the front rim to match the stock red rear wheel. It just didn't look right without matching rims.

Attachments

• EC_final.jpg
    EC_final.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 249
That's Ludwig, the Castle footman. He's a fine lad, a bit stiff but quite handy.
After each ride, I have him put the bike back in its stable, then he cleans the whitewalls and re-oils the chains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back