Cleaning and keeping rust off the rear sheave

arbys

Local time
10:53 PM
I recently purchased a 2002 Pacemaker II with 2300 miles on the odometer. The previous owner must have driven it hard and put away wet because rust has formed on the rear sheave. I would like to remove the rust and put some protection on it (wax?). I'm trying Evaporust and would like suggestions for both cleaning and protecting it.

I recently purchased a 2002 Pacemaker II with 2300 miles on the odometer. The previous owner must have driven it hard and put away wet because rust has formed on the rear sheave. I would like to remove the rust and put some protection on it (wax?). I'm trying Evaporust and would like suggestions for both cleaning and protecting it.
Use rust remover and clean it with 220 sand paper, Don't put nay wax on it because the belt will slip.
To prevent it from rusting again just paint it black But don't paint the belt groove.
If ya ride your Whizzer the sheave belt groove wont rust
Maybe ya should just buy a new sheave,

www.whizzercruzzerparts.com/product-category/sheave/
Maybe it can be found cheaper on e bay

Not painting the belt land is ideal, but it will promptly remove any over spray was where I was going
Yeh, no paint the belt Groove

To be honest I didn't even read what ya had to say 🤷‍♂️ I was just replying to the OP

There is some rust on the belt portion of the sheave and I'm not too worried about that because the belt should take care of that. There is some rust starting on the "shiney" part, what ever the belt doesn't contact, that's what I want to take care of.

There is some rust on the belt portion of the sheave and I'm not too worried about that because the belt should take care of that. There is some rust starting on the "shiney" part, what ever the belt doesn't contact, that's what I want to take care of.
Yes it's chromed
It sounds like some character rust. Clean it with steel wool as suggested and forget about it
Buy a new one if ya want it to look new again.

That's something I'm not a fan of right there. These guys with expendable resourced who dump upwards of 10× what something is worth to do a factory restoration sparing no expense for rechroming OEM parts to make something 60 or 80 years old look like it came out of the factory yesterday.

Old stuff has a tale to tell, and character to tell them with... so if it doesn't impede safety or function, let it be. Let the 80 year old chrome be a little pitted. If the paint is factory and not severely scratched up and coming off let it be a little be a little faded or less glossy than it once was.

Idk that's my preferences anyway
Character rust, Besides it's a 2002 repop WC-1 Whizzer. A new sheave won't hurt the value

If you can find 0000 stainless steel wool it will clean it real nice like, I say stainless because it wont cause a metal transfer like normal steel wool & wont to rust there as bad again, lightly rub with 0000 stainless steel wool & some brasso brand polish. It will look new again.

If you can find 0000 stainless steel wool it will clean it real nice like, I say stainless because it wont cause a metal transfer like normal steel wool & wont to rust there as bad again, lightly rub with 0000 stainless steel wool & some brasso brand polish. It will look new again.
Yeh, I've cleaned up light surface rust off chrome with 0000

Back