Clearance issues!

Carl Walichnowski

Local time
10:48 AM
After a bit of research on the clearance needed & reading the manual for my Grubee SkyHawk GT5A 66cc motor I went ahead & purchsed a Huffy Mountain Bike with 3" tires from Walmart. After getting the bike home & unboxing the SkyHawk I was saddened to see that while the engine fit in the frame it barely fit. The spark plug touches the break line on the underside of the cross bar and that's even without the spark plug wire attached!! I seen this & refused to move on, I thought it wise to ask the pros. This is my first motorized bike & install. Is there any suggestions on how to make this work? I don't think I'll be able to return the bike cause I scratched the frame up moving the engine around trying to make it fit properly. Any advice/input would be appreciated!!

on schwinn majestics I had that problem - I first bought a really stubby spark plug to clear the frame, but on later builds of that model bike, I replaced straight head with a slant head

The biggest problem is getting the drive chain past the 3" rear tire. If the rim is not wider than a standard beach cruiser tire; using a narrower tire in the rear may be an option. Otherwise the engine will have to be mounted offset from the frame, adding to the complexity of the motor mount.

Back