Climbin hills & gettin away from the Chinese!

T

TWalker

Ok we live in the mountains and we climb hills! I'm a member of the local Hills Angels.

I'm planning on leaving Chinese engines behind because I have partnered with a local buisiness who only wants top notch stuff which leaves me with Staton and GEBE.

1. How well would a 4 stroke 35cc Robin propel a 200 pound man up steep hills? Or lets say how well would it do that compared to a 60-70cc HT?

2. Will I have to go with 47-50cc? Which GEBE or Staton set up is best for hill climbing?

Of course I've used the search engine but please I need more info, we are definitely not flatlanders here and quality has to go way up for the projects we are working on.

Thanks ahead of time....give me your opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. How well would a 4 stroke 35cc Robin propel a 200 man up steep hills? Or lets say how well would it do that compared to a 60-70cc HT?
Hehe... I don't think it would propel 200 men anywhere. If hills are involved, getting a 4-stroke is a no-brainer for the torque & reliability. The TLE43 will give much more power when on flat land, and prolly about the same amount of torque as a 35cc Robin, I'd assume. Would be interesting to see real numbers comparing these two in terms of torque.

Either way, I think you'd see more of a difference in gearing toward torque than any other way. A Robin 35cc 4-stroke driving a 56t sprocket is what you'd want for the steepest hills.

2. Will I have to go with 47-50cc? Which GEBE or Staton set up is best for hill climbing?
I'd prolly go with Staton, but I don't think it'd make too much of a difference when going uphill. And I'm not sure how easy it is to change the gearing on GEBE kits. As far as I know, it's one drive ring fits all.

Correction: 200 pound man

Thanks for that.

I was also thinking today of going with a TLE43 but friction drive. Never been a fan of friction drive but for $170 difference and the need to switch it between a few bikes I might give it a go. Love the simplicity.

I can't imagine the little Robin 33 doing well on our mountains but it sure seems like a nice motor.

I can change mine in under a minute to but mines a wheel, no gear. And no lies either.

heehee :)

the point is, especially for new arrivals: there are many options...and there are many actual owners & riders of those options to get real feedback from...many like to guess about something they don't know about, i think it's just the nature of the beast with a place like this...do your homework :cool:

Last edited:
I dont care if its 30 seconds...if i have to stop my bike get off of it, get my tools out and take apart a gear box to change gears or carry a spare wheel with me....

:cry:

I'll just pedal faster....

A 4-stroke & 56t sprocket is a bit much for everyday usage. Get a 4-stroke a 50t sprocket, and you'll prolly be alright. Unless you really live on the steepest of hills.

And it's good to know that you can change the gear ratios on GEBE kits... makes it just about even with Staton, IMO. Only benefit Staton has now is that belts break, chains do not. But really... some people have gone thousands of miles with one GEBE belt and never had a problem. This is the fine line where it becomes tough to choose from... you'll prolly experience slightly better fuel efficiency with a Robin/Subaru kit from GEBE than anything else, saving you the few extra bucks needed for another belt.

But then again, you can do whatever you'd like. The choices are limitless around here, so RESEARCH before you make a final decision.

I just rode the Usery Pass loop here in Mesa Arizona with datz510 and we both are 200 pounds. I am more like 230, but shrinking. Anyhow the loop is pretty hilly and we did the 20 miles in about 60 minutes and did not drop below 20 mph except a short very steep 8% grade. I used a Subaru EHO35 and datz510 used a large Chineese70 80 or whatever. He had more power but I just assisted with pedaling as needed and usually kept up my top speed of 23 mph. Unless you just cannot pedal I see no problem with either of these motors in hilly country. Here is a link to some photos of the loop.

I dont care if its 30 seconds...if i have to stop my bike get off of it, get my tools out and take apart a gear box to change gears or carry a spare wheel with me....

:cry:

I'll just pedal faster....

you typically dont have to change the gears on most systems to climb hills. It is just If you use a high speed gear, you may have to peddle assist the motor up the hill.

These are some things you should keep in mind. These are not motorcycles(gonna use some old-school lingo), they are an AUXILIARY POWER SUPPLY to the bicyclist who is still the primary form of power for the bicycle. Most manufacturers nowadays use engines that have centrifugal clutches that allow you to take advantage of their power from a standstill. Engine technologies have come far enough these days to give these little guys enough torque to push you from a standstill, fairly practically too.

Bottom line is it will be difficult for you to find any motorized bike kit that has much more then 3 hp(baring false advertising).

Back