Clutch arm needs adjustment

Fletcher Hildreth

Local time
9:08 PM
My clutch arm seems to be in the wrong position. Can I just take the but off the top and pit it where it needs to be? Do I need a special tool to do this. Please give my some advice. This is my first time posting to a forum and my first bicycle engine

the arm should point nearly straight back when clutch lever is released with a bit of free play before it touches bucking bar

one usually tightens or loosens the flower nut to get it in right position - note that pulling arm toward clutch with one hand will take strain off flower nut so it can easily be turned

My clutch arm seems to be in the wrong position. Can I just take the but off the top and pit it where it needs to be? Do I need a special tool to do this. Please give my some advice. This is my first time posting to a forum and my first bicycle engine
If you want to change the position of the clutch arm in relation to the cam, you can, it won't damage anything and you can change it back too.

Remove the whole sprocket cover from the engine.
Clamp the arm or hold it securely so the clutch cam shaft and sprocket cover are hanging free.
Loosen the nut on the top of the clutch cam shaft, but don't remove it. The nut will protect the threads.
Hit the nut. A hammer is actually acceptable for this: probably the only place on a bike I would ever use one!
Then loosen the nut a little further and hit it again. You should see the splines on the clutch cam shaft starting to come out of the clutch arm. Remove the nut and pull the clutch arm off.
To put the arm back on you can probably do it just by pushing the arm onto the splines and tightening it down using the nut.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project! :)

Thanks for responding. I will try that. The video I watched to build the motor, said to take that off to put the chain on. Maybe I tightened the flower but too much, because it in gages when the arm is about 70 degrees from the motor. I thought that when they put the arm together, that it as in the wrong position. Ever heard of that happening?

If you want to change the position of the clutch arm in relation to the cam, you can, it won't damage anything and you can change it back too.

Remove the whole sprocket cover from the engine.
Clamp the arm or hold it securely so the clutch cam shaft and sprocket cover are hanging free.
Loosen the nut on the top of the clutch cam shaft, but don't remove it. The nut will protect the threads.
Hit the nut. A hammer is actually acceptable for this: probably the only place on a bike I would ever use one!
Then loosen the nut a little further and hit it again. You should see the splines on the clutch cam shaft starting to come out of the clutch arm. Remove the nut and pull the clutch arm off.
To put the arm back on you can probably do it just by pushing the arm onto the splines and tightening it down using the nut.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project! :)

Thanks for responding. I will try that. The video I watched to build the motor, said to take that off to put the chain on. Maybe I tightened the flower but too much, because it in gages when the arm is about 70 degrees from the motor. I thought that when they put the arm together, that it as in the wrong position. Ever heard of that happening?
Mine stuck out a bit, yes.
These are not like a finished engine, only like a rough cast or cut out of an engine, the parts just aren't properly finished, and they often mess up the assembly.
Tbh I would prefer they didn't assemble the engine because I have to take it apart so I can finish it properly, and my way, before assembling.

That is exactly what I thought the fix would be. You completely understand what I'm saying I am gonna try that first. If that doesn't work then I will check the flower but. Thanks

That is exactly what I thought the fix would be. You completely understand what I'm saying I am gonna try that first. If that doesn't work then I will check the flower but. Thanks
You will still need to adjust the flower nut anyway; but you should be able to get the engine finished and mounted on your bike with the cables connected before you do that. :)

You will still need to adjust the flower nut anyway; but you should be able to get the engine finished and mounted on your bike with the cables connected before you do that. :)
So that was the problem. When the dude in China put it together, he had the splines on the shaft in the wrong position. I thought that would fix the problem , I just wanted a second opinion before I went hammering on things. Your feedback helped. Thank you.I think the flower but is OK, as I put it back exact!y the way it came

as long as the flat of the cam is against the flat of the bucking bar and arm is about straight back, you're good

Back