clutch ball bearing substitue located

EddieBBlunt

Local time
6:30 PM
Hi,

Not big on bumpin my gums online much, but this is worth knowing:

You know, sometimes you have friends that HAVE to help you on projects like a bike rebuild.. well I have such luck and wouldn't you know it, he tossed that little 8 mm ball bearing he found on the floor after pulling my clutch out of my bike.. I didn't find this out till 7 months later when i was ready to rebuild the project, no ball bearing anywhere to be found...

went online to locate one... holy s**t, no one has them, of if they can get them its in increments of 100 or more..

cheap bastard that I am I refused to buy one from a kit store, or buy 100 of them only to not need the 99 left after using one..

got in car and drove to town in mild rage at my stupid luck...

passed auto shops and it dawned on me: saw check valve bearings in transmissions when I was in auto tech school.. never built a tranny, hate them, mostly the smell... anyhow.

I stopped at one tranny shop and talked to the guy: "anyone in here a tranny encyclapedic genius? " naturally one of them stepped up, I said : " i need one of these, but I need one that is 8 mm and I have here a 9 and a 12 to trade you. BUT you gotta mic it out for me as I have faith issues."

2 minutes later I am out the door with my new 8mm bearing at no charge.

thought I better share this HELLA cool work around with SOMEONE that might could use this INFO.

there, feel much better now.

-EddieBBlunt, Granite falls WA

nothing beats free, but a 5/16 ball will do in a pinch. it's a couple thou undersize, but close enough for most people

Back