Clutch cable better mounting yeah!

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by Large Filipino, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Ah blessed be Bunnings:grin::lol:

2. graucho

graucho Active Member

Ive already posted in this thread, but since, Ive modified my design and I just wanted to add my photos so they stayed with he correct thread for future uses. graucho

Attached Files:

• 5a.jpg
      5a.jpg
      File size:
      208.5 KB
      Views:
    • 6a.jpg
      6a.jpg
      File size:
      190.5 KB
      Views:
  3. Thats one very cleen n shiny lookin rig graucho!

4. petite morty

petite morty Guest

Another variation on the theme

OK, I made a variation of the "door roller" clutch mechanism. I wanted to do it without welding, since many guys here don't have a welder. So it's something almost anyone can do. I have included pics, and I think it is pretty self explanitory, but let me know if anybody requires some more explanation. I started with a piece of square tubing. In a nutshell, I then made several cuts in the tube so one side ended up being a mounting tab. I drilled a big hole in the mounting tab, so the original clutch lever mounting post/bolt would fit through it. The original cable mounting post becomes the bolt that holds the assembly to the engine. Then I drilled a small hole for the door roller (Lowes hardware), and one for a cable mount that I scavanged from and old caliper brake assembly I had laying around. After attaching the cable mount, I put several washers under the door roller until it sat at the same height as the cable would, them bolted the roller on tight. Then I bent the mounting tab to the proper angle so the steel cable curving out of the roller would be in the proper position to line right up with the end of the clutch lever on the engine. Again, look at the pics. After installing the whole assembly, the clutch cable clears the top of the side case, and points pretty much straight forward, leaving everything in a straight line. I trimmed the cable and sheath down so that the cable rides fairly tightly against the cylinder (maybe a little too tight?).
    The whole project took a hacksaw, a hand drill and about an 1 1/2 hours. Most of that time was spent thinking it out and locating the holes properly so the whole thing fitted into the space allotted. I like the way the whole assembly fits under the carb as well.
    But anyway, thanks to Large P for the idea. Now I have no worries about sudden clutch cable failure.......:cool:

Attached Files:

5. Now that truly looks like it was meant to be.
    PROPS!!!

6. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Heck of a job there man...blends in perfectly.

7. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Wow! Nice work.

8. bbford

bbford New Member

The clutch cable mod looked so good I made my own. I have a welder, so it doesn't take long to make once you have the measurements. I used the original cable adjuster to fine tune it. Maybe if there is enough demand, I can start making a bunch of these.

Attached Files:

9. Tinker1980

Tinker1980 Guest

Awesome! I can fab something like that up in a few minutes. Simple. I like simple.

-Mark

10. levsmith

levsmith Member

very nice

wow nice job guys. i am definately going to have to make one of these. i am getting sick and tired of my clutch because it is so hard to pull

11. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

hey Large -------- looks simple and should be long lasting

a touch of grease right in that channel -- will help much with your cable life

keep it up -- many of us are enjoying your ideas..

seems that you are one of those -- inventor at heart types !

makes it great when we wish to --
    ride that thing --------------------------------------- Mountainman

12. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

Finally doin' it

I'm in the middle of my 1st gasser build. After riding electric and wanting gas for nearly a year. I've pre-installed it.

This mod is elegantly simple and cheap to build. Yet, I've talked to some experienced MBer's and they had not heard of it.

Attached Files:

13. Just_Gasit

Just_Gasit Member

Excellent mod!!

I've been carrying a pair of those rollers around in my junk for about a two decades since I used a bunch of those pulleys to fix the cable system in a tent trailer. I just dug around and found them! (my finding them was almost as amazing as this mod BTW) I am now ready to fab up a bracket when my kit arrives on Tuesday. Some one should create a sticky for this and any other "must do" mods.

14. ozzyu812

ozzyu812 Member

yup i agree :D

15. Just_Gasit

Just_Gasit Member

Slight change

I did your basic pulley design but changed the angle some. It's a bit more compact.

Attached Files:

16. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

After reading and seeing your pictures I really liked the roller idea. Although being new to these bikes, I didn't like the set up on the first build. Now on my second. I incorporated your roller idea last night. 2 rollers for $5.00, scrap and time and this is the outcome. No sheath as of yet as I'm in the building process as you can see.

Attached Files:

17. radrob

radrob Member

sweet just what i was looking for. my og mount has stripped out. going to cap it and try this.

18. radrob

radrob Member

sweet mod thanks!! super easy to pull the clutch in. a little girl can pull my clutch in now!!! like butter!!!!! love it!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  19. craisin

craisin Member

hey Large good to see your budget mod out there your an inspiration to us poor folk

20. craisin

craisin Member

hello again large could you kindly tell me what that yellow thing is under your seat is? ty