Clutch cable better mounting yeah!

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by Large Filipino, Feb 14, 2008.

1. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

CHICKEN FLAVERING every body knows it comes from rattle snake!

<
  2. happycheapskate

happycheapskate Active Member

I like this idea a lot and I bet the patio door roller will last forever. Good job.

I saw someone do a similar think with an existing product called a Cable Travel Doubler, that is made to use Road Bike brake levers with V brakes on cyclocross bikes. Its about $20 though.

People have also used V brake noodles to smooth it out some.

I just used some good lubricant and a Odyssey Slick Cable.

3. Luka

Luka Member

Large...

I know this thread is old, but I had a thought.

About the -choke-. Not the clutch.

A way to make it adjustable without a lot of fiddling.

Think... Gas pump handle.

You know, the one at the gas station.

It has a little spring-loaded lever with notches in it.

You can pull the 'trigger' on the pump handle to any 'flow' that you desire... Flip that lilltle lever down, with the pinky of the same hand... And the 'trigger is locked in that position.

A slight flick of the trigger, lets the lever go.

Flip the whole idea backwards, (Or any direction you need to, to make it work.), and put stops on the choke control lever istelf. (The handle/lever that YOU use at your end of the cable, to adjust the choke with.)

Then make a small, spring loaded "tab", that you can pull/push into position with your pinky. (Which of course releases with a tiny squeeze on the choke control lever.)

You could have notches in the lever, for each position you would want your choke to stay in.

4. Al.Fisherman

Al.Fisherman Active Member

Do you really use your choke that much that would warrant something extra on the handle bars? I only use my choke once a day weather I rode it yesterday or two weeks ago, 1/2 on at that, and for about 30 seconds. I use the choke from my house till I get to the stop sign (400') at which I both stop and remove choke. Maybe a nice idea in a cold climate.

5. Luka

Luka Member

I don't have a gas motor on my bike. But I do know that for much of the year here in the cold north-wet-, I have to fiddle with the choke on chainsaws, mowers and weedwhackers, until the engines are good and warmed up.

Let them set for 15 to 20 minutes, not running, and you'll have to do it all over again.

It was Large that wanted to fiddle with the choke.

I didn't, (Still don't.), see any point to asking -why- he would want to. Just wanted to help him out with ideas.

The idea could be swapped over to the clutch lever as well. In case you want to set the clutch disengaged, so the motor can be left running. But you don't have to keep the lever depressed by holding it there.

6. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

The clutch levers that come with most kits have a push button to do that. Pull the lever in and push the button down and it stays in.

7. Luka

Luka Member

Well there you go !

Even better !

:grin5:

8. happycheapskate

What will happen when the rattlesnakes are gone?

re: choke levers.

Why not use a Friction Shifter knob like this:
    ($5 "thumbie" friction shift lever) http://www.niagaracycle.com/images/qbpimages/LD1243md.jpg

Attached Files:

9. danlandberg

danlandberg Member

Chicken VS Rattlesnake

When all the Rattlers are gone, people will say "chicken tastes like rabbit" LOL.:rolleyes7: Has anyone seen my bikes yet? STOLD in Vegas or 2nd in a year "must be dumb". :shout:

10. happycheapskate

Actually, chicken does taste more like rabbit than rattler. Rabbits taste better than chicken! If they weren't cute like rattlesnakes, more people would know this! :detective:

Its a conspiracy I tell ya. Rabbits breed like, well, rabbits, but I can't find them in my local supermarkets anywhere, unless they come from China (I am really being serious! Brookshires sells "chinese" rabbits in the frozen section. Elsewhere, you have to get live "friers" from the farmers markets or shoot a bunny yourself.)

Don't hunt them out of season, and don't let anyone steal your bike while you are sighting in the nights supper.

11. Luka

Luka Member

I lived in farm country, growing up.

A friend of mine raised rabbits.

If you were not there when the momma had her babies, you'd eventually find her sitting in a cage full of 'baby parts'. Because she would eat them. Well, at least most parts of them.

I guess she'd get carried away, when cleaning them. Possibly a combination of that, and that 'suddenly empty stomach' hungry feeling she would have because all those babies were now outside, and not squishing up her stomach and other insides.

If you got them away from her and cleaned up, and got her to eat until she was full, then she'd accept them back and nurse them.

Well, most of the time. Sometimes she would eat some of them anyway.

Never seen chickens do that.

12. Evil

Evil New Member

Ya got a dirty fuel filter too..
    The man knows what he's talkin about..
    One finger..

13. STL Sparky*

STL Sparky* New Member

Just sharing another :idea:
    This is made from a throttle cable noodle, and a rag mount sprocket bracket.
    Electrical tape is just to clean up the look a bit.

Attached Files:

14. Rebel Riders MB

Rebel Riders MB New Member

Nice ! Great idea , no more chaffing the clutch wires, the only visual improvements I can come up with is rounding out the corners off and maby paint it red to match the bicycle

15. Fly1

Fly1 Member

That is neat.Thank our friend, must try that.

Fly