Clutch Cable Keeper

F

fetor56

I use this to secure my clutch cable at the clutch Control Arm.
Simply get an appropriately sized insert from an old pop-rivet gun and then cut it down the centre(but only where the thread part is)
Thread your cable through the insert and when u have the correct length bent it 90 degrees.Attach the correct sized nut.
It's easy to make,works great and is very quick to retension the cable.
The extension of the clutch Control Arm is also not a bad idea....makes the clutch easier.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Sano!

As we used to say, "Sano!" ...for, "that's sanitary!".

Clean. That's a clean way to do that. Well done!

:)~

where is your spring going from the cable tightner screw to your control arm?

where is your spring going from the cable tightner screw to your control arm?

There's nothing stopping u from adding the spring but personally i wouldn't.That smaller springs ONLY purpose is for heat protection and since u don't get any heat in that area it's waisted....it also inhibits the movement of the clutch arm inwards.

Nice design, looks a lot more clean that that brass thing that comes with the happytime kits.
I thought it acted as a return spring.. Does the clutch have any difficulty engaging without that spring on there?

I have never used the spring between the adjuster and the clutch arm
haven't had any probs yet (well over 1000 miles)

little spring not for heat protection

There's nothing stopping u from adding the spring but personally i wouldn't.That smaller springs ONLY purpose is for heat protection and since u don't get any heat in that area it's waisted....it also inhibits the movement of the clutch arm inwards.

I'm thinking it helps pop the clutch a little faster to help prevent clutch pad wear and tare (slippage. Yeah its a small spring but every little bit helps, also i don't think it is for heat protection because there is no insulation around the wire (clutch cable), it is bare from the adjuster to the arm so that don't make sense. and as far as inhibiting the arm inwards, i can't tell a difference with or without the spring. They give you that spring for a reason, so i use it. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking it helps pop the clutch a little faster to help prevent clutch pad wear and tare (slippage. Yeah its a small spring but every little bit helps, also i don't think it is for heat protection because there is no insulation around the wire (clutch cable), it is bare from the adjuster to the arm so that don't make sense. and as far as inhibiting the arm inwards, i can't tell a difference with or without the spring. They give you that spring for a reason, so i use it. thanks

I've done 2300 miles on my little bug with no ill effects,but like i said "There's nothing stopping u".............different strokes. :cool:

MBc "disclaimer" for new builders

but, we don't advise against proper assembly, both springs have a purpose...

large spring-heatshield, small spring-proper (clutch return) tension...override them at your own risk.

after you've learned how things operate is the time to be experimenting, like fetor's tweak (which looks cool)...meantime, "stick to the plan" is my advice to all new builders.

EDIT! fetor, it is a nice clean look...and my warning to the new guy was not meant to be a negative comment about your personal contribution, thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow

OMG augi actually agree's with me on something lol, just pickin:p. I feel the same way like i said both serve their purpose

Back