clutch cable question

artmaker

Local time
10:30 PM
Ok, in the process of a bike build here, first time ever from scratch for me.
Now... my last two strike bike I bought already built. It did not have a clutch handle. They used a three speed shifter as the clutch, mounted on the right just next to the throttle. (and a royal pain it is to use too.)

So this bike came with a standard clutch handle and cable. And there is some odd little sleeve on one end of the cable. I can't see why? I tried taking it off and the cable fits SO much better without it, but it must be there for some kind of reason.

Seeing is better.... First picture shows the mystery part, in between the ball end that fits into the handle and the end of the housing. That bit.

Next two (sorry one is blurry) Mounted WITH this piece, it kinda keeps the cable from seating well against the handle. So I took it off, and the cable fits like it should. Same as the brake cables fit.

I'm just going to leave it off. Still... it came with the kit for a reason. Be nice to know what I'm missing here.
BTW... I did try ever bit of the other end, thinking maybe it was just packaged wrong? But no, it doesn't fit any part of the motor end of things.

Attachments

• IMG_1511.JPG
    IMG_1511.JPG
    244.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_1512.JPG
    IMG_1512.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_1513.JPG
    IMG_1513.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 194
Yeah, that piece is supposed to be there, I thought the same thing, it fits better without it, but apparently thats not supposed to go up inside the handle, its just supposed to sit there and you tighten up the cable and it will stay there. Good question

I cut them off also, have to keep adjusting the cable with them on!

I think the cable is a standard cheap brake cable and outer combo that for some reason came with an extra bit (unknown to me but probably) meant for road bike drop bar levers.

Furry I think your right on both counts. Cheap cable for sure. That tiny screw that needs to hold it in place on the actuator arm? Darn near cuts the cable getting it on tight enough for it to not slip. It DID split the strands on my first attempt. I took out the screw and it was full of burs on the business end. I filed it smooth, put the cable back on, good thing the frayed part now is beyond the critical point. Once I got it tight enough to disengage the clutch, and this time really tightened that screw, it seems good. Not a very reliable design though. For all the stress on that cable, one little pinch screw hardly seems enough. But we'll see. Still assembling this thing, first rides will be close enough to home so I can walk it back if need be.

Back