Clutch Cable Return Spring

bmoody

Local time
11:45 AM
I got my "80cc" kit installed yesterday and drove it around town. Clutch cable kept getting harder and harder to pull in until it snapped at the lever.

My question is:

I got two long springs with the kit. One is bigger than the other. I know one of these springs goes with the clutch cable but it appears others have them installed differently than me. Can someone let me know exactly where these two springs are supposed to be installed?

bump...

do you have to have the smaller spring between the clutch arm, and the threaded fitting..
because when my cable snapped, i lost that spring, and i have using the clutch without it?

bump...

do you have to have the smaller spring between the clutch arm, and the threaded fitting..
because when my cable snapped, i lost that spring, and i have using the clutch without it?
I do not use the smaller spring.... never have. the pressure plate is spring loaded too....to keep pressure on the clutch disc.

the larger spring protects the cable housing, from the heat from the engine.

Last edited:
Keep the stock return spring- that is fine. But what I did, is I went to my Local Bike Shop and got a nice rear brake cable with a "barrel" end and also picked up some housing, and ferrels.

Got home, installed it, trimmed it to fit, and put a drop of oil inside the housing to insure a great pull. What a difference. Tight, but not too tight, firm, and precise. Just what I was looking for. In all, it only cost like $7 to do it.

Back