Clutch Cable Too Long.

yuckfoo

Local time
2:35 AM
My clutch cable is too long. If I cut it I would need to replace that crimped piece at the engine end. .... or should I cut it at the lever end and re-attach that lead barrel? That also has a crimp piece at the end. Tips, tricks, appreciated. I do want to cut it though, not reroute and find a way to take up all that slack.

(edit) 5mm cable ferrule end caps - found those online.

Last edited:
My clutch cable is too long. If I cut it I would need to replace that crimped piece at the engine end. .... or should I cut it at the lever end and re-attach that lead barrel? That also has a crimp piece at the end. Tips, tricks, appreciated. I do want to cut it though, not reroute and find a way to take up all that slack.
When i had to cut a cable and cable housing to fit, i obtained that crimp type ferrules for the housing at my local bicycle shop...They also gave me the ferrule crimp ends for the end of the cable...They gave me a few of them for free...common item...DAMIEN

Last edited:
Do you mean that the cable housing is too long and you want to cut it shorter? The crimped ends are called ferrules. You may find them at a bicycle shop. They aren't really necessary, but look nice. If you cut the housing, be sure to ream it to remove any sharp burrs. The tang of a rat tail file or chain saw file works well.

Since were talking about cutting cable housings and putting on a cable housing cap (ferrule)
Here is how ya can make a crimping tool for the cable housing cap
Crimping the cable housing cap on is not necessary but I like to do it
If ya want to buy the tool for crimping on the cable housing cap their very expensive$$$
But you can make one out of an old pair of wire strippers
Here's how make one.
DSCF1606.JPG
DSCF1607.JPG
DSCF1608.JPG
DSCF1609.JPG
DSCF1610.JPG
DSCF1611.JPG
DSCF1612.JPG
DSCF1615.JPG
DSCF1616.JPG
DSCF1617.JPG

I bought this 100 pc box of 5mm cable housing caps and cable end caps for about $7 on Amazon
DSCF1604.JPG

I bought this 50' roll of 5 mm cable housing for about $17 on Amazon
DSCF1603.JPG

I bought this 10 pcs of 6' brake cables for $10 on Amazon
DSCF1602.JPG

Now I've got plenty of brake cables. (y)

TIP: when cutting cable housing
Use line mans side cutters to cut the cable housing
Use a scratch awe to straighten out the hole in the end of the cable.

I just I got lucky as I cut and shortened the clutch cables on both my bikes and was able to pull the crimp off the end of the cables and reuse them

You can also bend it around and tightly zip tie the excess to the clutch arm. That's what I did. Depends on how long we're talking.

Since were talking about cutting cable housings and putting on a cable housing cap (ferrule)
Here is how ya can make a crimping tool for the cable housing cap
Crimping the cable housing cap on is not necessary but I like to do it
If ya want to buy the tool for crimping on the cable housing cap their very expensive$$$
But you can make one out of an old pair of wire strippers
Here's how make one.
View attachment 156274View attachment 156275View attachment 156276View attachment 156277View attachment 156278View attachment 156279View attachment 156280View attachment 156282View attachment 156283View attachment 156284

I bought this 100 pc box of 5mm cable housing caps and cable end caps for about $7 on Amazon
View attachment 156273

I bought this 50' roll of 5 mm cable housing for about $17 on Amazon
View attachment 156285

I bought this 10 pcs of 6' brake cables for $10 on Amazon
View attachment 156286

Now I've got plenty of brake cables. (y)

TIP: when cutting cable housing
Use line mans side cutters to cut the cable housing
Use a scratch awe to straighten out the hole in the end of the cable.
Nice!

Me it's no problem, just take excess cable loop it over tape it then jam it in your bike somewhere away from chain and sprocket.

Back