Clutch clutch disengaged-engine dies.

It appears the carb does not like bits of sand and grit in it. :censored: I took it apart and found some crud in there. I guess it somehow got in through the coarse air filter element and affected the operation. A quick blow with canned air (i was camping at the time) and voila! Runs like a charm now. I put close to 4 tanks of gas on it these past 4 days while camping. Nowhere near 150 mpg, but i guess thats the thing with new engines....a lot of power lost past the rings till they get settled.

I never had so many stares before. And the dear ran away real fast while I crusied through the forest. Seems they are not used to the sound of 2 stroke yet.:p

I also moved the throttle pin in the carb so that the clip is on the bottom slot. And prior to discovering the issue with the grit in the carb, the spark plug was wet and black which from what I learned on this great forum means too rich a mixture. I'll have a look at it again ( an new plug) in the next tankful or so and see what it looks like then.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and help!:D

Daniel

Last edited:
FYI, if you found the grit in the float bowl or jet area then it likely came in through the fuel via the tank, not thru the air filter. An inline gas filter is recommended all over this forum for exactly that reason. There's no guarantee that the Chinese manufacturer cleaned the tank well (or at all for that matter) after fab.

FYI, if you found the grit in the float bowl or jet area then it likely came in through the fuel via the tank, not thru the air filter. An inline gas filter is recommended all over this forum for exactly that reason. There's no guarantee that the Chinese manufacturer cleaned the tank well (or at all for that matter) after fab.

Good point. I never did clean the gas tank, having not found this forum until after I assembled the kit. I did have the good sense to have an inline filter and I do see grit from time to time in the line above the filter.Good ol' Chinese quality control! The grit was found in the the area where the throttle barrel goes and I presume it prevented the barrel from sliding properly.

Daniel

Hi i am a rider that has rode for about 3 months and in that time i have went through three motors. Along the way i have learned alot about the motors due to these threads and youtube videos. I have ran into the same problem today, so i decided to take the motor apart and clean it out as much as i could. And noticed that my head gasket has a split in it. I am waiting on a ride to get my spare head gasket so i can put that on. And see if thats helps. Even though the motor is runing fine until i try to engage the clutch. I dont want to ruin it any more than it already is and i know that the split in the head gasket will affect the compression of the engine. And therefor affects the air part in the tree know reasons a motor will run or not spark, air, and gas hope this helps and i will also let you know what happens after i put the new head gasket on. Good luck

Hi i am a rider that has rode for about 3 months and in that time i have went through three motors. Along the way i have learned alot about the motors due to these threads and youtube videos. I have ran into the same problem today, so i decided to take the motor apart and clean it out as much as i could. And noticed that my head gasket has a split in it. I am waiting on a ride to get my spare head gasket so i can put that on. And see if thats helps. Even though the motor is runing fine until i try to engage the clutch. I dont want to ruin it any more than it already is and i know that the split in the head gasket will affect the compression of the engine. And therefor affects the air part in the tree know reasons a motor will run or not spark, air, and gas hope this helps and i will also let you know what happens after i put the new head gasket on. Good luck
I like the twisted Teflon tape gasket, it's easy to find, and it's easy to carry spare tape and not have the worry of an alloy gasket getting scratched in the tool bag.
The tTt gasket is very, very thin once the head is torqued down, so you must check the clearance before using it; but if there is enough clearance it can boost compression. The stock alloy gasket is 0.7mm thick and the tTt gasket is 0.05mm thin! :)

Is that little dabs of glue holding that teflon gasket in place?
No, it's little spots of grease which will get squished out of the way when the head is torqued down. I think I scraped away some of the excess using the dental pick (that I used to position the tTt carefully) before I put the head on, not too sure now.
The tTt gasket is difficult to position perfectly without the grease, though I expect it's still possible to get it close enough. I just wanted to get it perfect. :)

Back